Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

I got greedy, I admit it

oldroser
17 years ago

A friend said she was visiting a local nursery and spotted a flat of un-named hellebores that looked a lot like Ivory Prince - neglected, aphid infested. unhappy. She bought half a dozen and wanted to know how many I wanted at $6.99 each. I said 10 and now have to collect them and get them in the ground. But I was thinking that I'll plant a swatch of them under the apple tree and put the rest out in the woods. What I had, I suspect, was a bad case of the 'gimme's.' But at a price like that, it was just too hard to resist.

Comments (6)

• razorback33
    17 years ago

Say hello to another greedy collector! I found some that had just arrived at a local nursery back in January and bought all of the ones that had flower buds, I believe they were around $7.50 each with a quanity discount and some wheeling and dealing. Every one had multiple blooms and I'm waiting to see if they have viable seed. I obtained what is purported to be H. niger 'Potter's Wheel', that has viable seed, from a local collector and would like to do some crosses. I have some old H. niger plants, purchased as 'Potter's Wheel', but have never found any viable seed on them, even after hand pollination. This collector also has a H. x sternii with highly patterned leaves that he obtained somewhere in Europe. I left an order for one of those, as soon as divisions are available, to use in breeding. He also has a H. multifidus, ssp.?, with "Robin's Egg" blue flowers, but has a lo-o-o-ng waiting list for it. I will probably be old and gray before one is avilable. Wait a minute, I'm already old and gray. Where did the time go!
    Good luck with your purchase!
    Rb

• thane
    16 years ago

How did the cheap hellebores turn out? :)

• covella
    16 years ago

Barry Glcik at Sunshine Gardens has the cheapest hellebores I've ever bought - we bought a flat of 1 yr old seedlings for $0.50 each from his doubles breeding program

• ellix
    16 years ago

(Greed) seems like such an ugly word here. I think addiction would be more appropiate. At $2 each -well, I bought a couple (dozen) and they were beautiful thriving large plants. What else could I have done?

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Only a couple(dozen)?
    You need to catch up with some of us hard core addicts! I recently received five dozen, yellows and mixed doubles, on order since early spring and about to place an order for at least five more dozen, double yellows and near black(dark purple/blue) ones. Both colors are among my favorites, along with deep pink/rose(near red).
    Welcome to the joy ride!
    Rb

• ellix
    16 years ago

I only started gardening 2 years ago when I bought a home with a good sized yard. I have a lot of shade, sun, wet areas, and dry areas. I am finding that I can have lots and lots of various types of plants. I love great buys and couldn't pass up on these. I bought some last year and loved them.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County