Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebore not growing

Posted by Agnieszka13 San Francisco (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 20:41

I bought one plant a year ago. Since then it has not really grown.

It is in a pot for now, located on a eastern side of the house and it gets fog filtered light or rarely and shortly direct sun. Should I put it under a tree where there is more shade?

What else can I do?

It's not dying but it's not doing envy thing else either :0(

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebore not growing

I would plant it in the ground. I think the pot is probably the problem.

o

Yes, may be you are right. I was hoping for the plant to get bigger before planting it in its permanent spot. I didn't think the pot would be a problem because it is quite large and it has excellent soil. And I've been watering it every other day.

I'll try to plant it this weekend, and hope for the best...

Thank you!

o

Couple of things to consider.....hellebores are only shade tolerant, not shade lovers. They will tolerate quite a lot of direct sun, especially early day sun. And a few Mediterranean species just flop over in much shade! They are also quite drought tolerant once established - watering every other day may be excessive.

o

Thanks gardengal48! This is a great info and I'll apply your suggestions immediately. Less water, and a bit more sun! :) Done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here