Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanapam02

An Abundance of Hellebores

nanapam02
12 years ago

This year I realized I have way too many babies. I cut off the flowers on many of them as a means of plant control. I was thinking about cutting out some of the smaller plants, hoping to kill them. Don't want to dig as there is not enough room. Will cutting the small ones, kill them??

Comments (23)

• claysoil
    11 years ago

I usually grab handfuls of the babies and pull them up. If they are big enough to cut, you may have to go back a second time and look for another flush of leaves, but I doubt it at this time of year.

• spif
    11 years ago

Hi - If you still have too many hellebores, let me know. I'm up in Richmond, would love to get some of them as I have some areas I'm trying to "naturalize"... Hellebores would be perfect for a couple of them!

• preppyboy1957
    11 years ago

Hi I also would like some Hellebores. I love seeing the cool green and rose tones in the winter. You can email me at the yahoo. Thanx

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

sent you an email

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

If you still have extra's I would love some starts also. I have tried growing the seed but alas nothing happens. I would be happy to send postage.

Ellie

• BettyJSmith
    10 years ago

If you should find yourself in the same situation, I would LOVE to have any babies you pull up! PLEASE email me. I will be happy to pay for the shipping!

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I would like some too if you have any left. Be glad to pay shipping.
    Brad

• dlbk
    9 years ago

Please add me to your list - I'd love some as my rabbits keep eating all the buds and I never have any babies. Perhaps if I add more, they won't be able to eat them all! Happy to pay shipping, thank you! :)

• cecile138
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I realize that this is quite an old thread, but I have just discovered it. I also have kabillions of hellebore volunteers that I would be happy to share, some several years old. They are the ordinary single-flowered orientalis, I have many colors so no claim at all on what the babies will be. I am in North Georgia, Z7.

• illinoisdoglover
    9 years ago

I would also be intersted in some if there are any left. Thank you. I am in Illinois zone 5a. Will pay postage. Let's chat.

• cecile138
    9 years ago

*All* of them are left, I haven't dug any yet. How many would you like? I have, literally, thousands; several hundred will be of two year size. e me at cecile138@att.net with Hellebore in the subject line so I don't spaminate you.

• Mizzteek Z6 MA
    9 years ago

I would LOVE some. I will email you, Cecile.

• jchad214
    9 years ago

Hi Cecile,

Just sent you an email :)

• Lisa (z5A, SE WI)
    9 years ago

If the offer is still open, I would like some as well. I'll email.

• patchworkfarm (z6 CT)
    9 years ago

I too would love some. I will email

• Mizzteek Z6 MA
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Cecile. The seedlings are securely planted in pots indoors until they can be put outdoors.

• cecile138
    9 years ago

Wonderful! I hope they thrive and bloom for you! If not, and you want to try it again, contact me. I have no idea whether certain strains of hellebores are more acclimated to warmer or colder climes, so that might be a consideration, but I am happy to give it another try if need be.

• cecile138
    9 years ago

UH OH! I just discovered, in digging plants to ship, that I have an aphid infestation. I'm going to try to kill them on the ones I just dug with insecticidal soap, but until I know whether that works, I guess my offer is off the table. (Unless you want a little livestock with your plants.) So so sorry.

• Liberated
    9 years ago

Hello Cecile, I just ran upon this thread. I would love a few plants if still available if the insecticidal soap helped. Sending you an email.

• Phylis
    8 years ago

I'd love some Hellebore seeds or plants if anyone has extra to share. :)

• Debbie Fluharty
    8 years ago

Hi Cecile, I was just wondering if you are still sharing your Hellebores? I have been looking to order but they are out of stock. Hopefully, they will have more to ship this fall but I would buy or pay postage if you have any left.

Thanks, Debbie.

debbiefluharty@gmail.com

• Debbie Sheegog
    8 years ago

Can anyone comment on how old the planted Hellebore usually is before you find babies? It's interesting- is this how they naturalize if they are left to their own doing? I am planting 4-6 around an area that could beautifully fill in eventually and hope that it will!

• cecile138
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

In my experience, any flower left alone will set seeds. Be sure you don't have a sterile hybrid - some of the fancy ones are hybrids of H. niger and H. orientalis, and they are interspecies hybrids: mules. If you've got a species as opposed to a hybrid, and you bought it old enough to bloom, then you should have seedlings. They will appear in a dense cluster under the plant, where they fell. A bunch will die off due to overcrowding but you will still have plenty. When the survivors have true leaves, you can spread them around or pot them up, and you'll lose some of those too: they are *little*. The seedlings will take several years to bloom. OR you can watch the flowers as they mature, and when you see the capsule start to split and release seeds, pick that flower and scatter the seeds around.

HTH, and enjoy! they are beautiful and bloom with daffodils here in Georgia, really nice combination.

Cecile