Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From seed?

Posted by CFMuehling 7b So. MD (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 20:58

Hello all!
I'm blessed to have two tiny hellebores -- what kind, I don't know. :) I hope they will bloom this year, they're 2nd year.

Anway, I have a package of hellebore seeds. They say they take 2 years to germinate. Has anyone done this who might have some advice for me?

I figured I'm stick 'em in a pot, keep it watered (?) through the summer, and in the garage over the winter. Perhaps year after next they'll germinate?

Am I on the right track?
TIA!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From seed?

Christine: I winter sowed mine last year in a sturdy plastic container (sam's cookie box), left them in a semi-shaded spot all summer and this winter they germinated. I didn't do anything to them other than ignore them... but they were in a spot that would get regular watering.

I'm going to look for seeds on my big plant this year, I hear they are much quicker if you plant them right away.

Lisa

o
RE: From seed?

Quicker?
Do you mean if you take them from the plant and put them directly into dirt? I guess I'm a little confused, as that's what I thought you described with your Sam's cookie box.

I think I'll do the same though. I have a peat pellet container (although no more peat! I'll use dirt) I can set up, put it into a place where it will be shaded, get indirect sun and some rain.

I really love these little devils. I was thrilled to see 2 of my 3 made it through being twisted by Isabel, then my 1st winter. IOW, they made it despite me. They have new season growth, too! :)
Thanks, Lisa.

Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here