Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebores, after the 6 weeks in fridge, should I take them out?

Posted by rinomanfroni Dallas, Z8a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 22:04

Hellebores, after the 6 weeks in fridge, should I take them out or keep them in until germination?

I see some people taking them out and bringing their pots with hellebore seeds outside, while others are keeping them in the fridge until they see sprouts.

What is best? I am confused. I am also in Dallas, so there is gonna be another few weeks of mild temperatures, and then it will start to become hot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebores, after the 6 weeks in fridge, should I take them o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 11:18

I think 6 weeks is a little short for the moist cold...my own will normally begin germinating at 8-10 weeks chill - germination will continue into the 12th week.

Did your seeds get the moist warm period before you began the chill?

I have my seeds outdoors but I suspect our Z8s are quite different. My seed pots are being exposed to days in the 50's, nights 40F or below and that will most likely continue through the end of this month with only a little variation to the daytime temps.

o

I think they like to be cool, under fifty degrees, so I think it would be safer for you to keep them in the refrigerator ... and when a few sprout and you have to move the pot out into the light, I think you might be best off to find a cool spot outside and bury the pot to keep it cool.

o

They still did not germinate at all... I usually go with the Thomson and Morgan instructions because they seem to be pretty reliable. However, I am not sure in the case of Hellebores. They keep changing the time you have to leave the seeds in fridge.

For example, when I purchased the seeds in January they wrote I should keep the seeds in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. Now they changed their instructions and they say they should stay 3 months (or 12 weeks).

Well, my seeds are at their 10th week and they have not germinated yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here