Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. please

Posted by themayocynic NV Z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 22:48

Hi all,

A few years ago I got an unnamed hellebore from one of the home improvement stores. Of course, they just had "Helleborus" on the tag. Can anyone please help me find the name of this particular plant?

Also, if my pic posting works, can you let me know if it looks like the flower color deepened? I'm not sure if I took pics in the same amount of light, but it looks very dark this year. I don't mind at all, I just didn't know if this means it's not getting the nutrients it requires or maybe too much of something.It could be that I used a different camera, but in real life, it looks pure purple rather than the dark burgundy it was when I bought it. Thanks in advance!

2008 pic (it was a dark burgundy)

2010 pics (it looks decidedly more purple)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. please

It is Helleborus x hybridus, often mistakenly referred to as, Helleborus orientalis, which was one of the original parents.

Your plant probably is healthier today, than in the earlier photo, as the foliage appears to be a darker green and more robust. At least, it is a more mature plant and that may account for some changes in the "flower" hue. Some people claim that the color can change, with changes in temperature, but I'm a bit skeptical. The color can change during senesce (aging) of the calyx (flower). The reverse side of the sepals can also be of a different color than the obverse (inner) side.

The difference in cameras may also have altered the perceived color.

In any case, I think it's a marvelous color and if you decide to toss it, say the word and I'll gladly pay for the shipping costs, plus reimbursement for your cost of the plant! :<))

o
RE: I.D. please

Thank you landywindsurfer! That was very helpful and I'm glad to know it looks healthy despite my dog watering it ;)

I doubt I'll take it out, but if you'd like some seeds when I gather them, I'd be happy to send them your way. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here