Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_rose_gw

Buying Hellebores from Park Seed?

wild_rose
20 years ago

I received yet another e-mail offer from Park Seed yesterday. This time it was Royal Heritage Hellebores for an unbelievable price of $5.95 (with Bonus Code Q1AH36). The offer is good through April 17.

Has anyone bought Helleborus plants from Park Seed? I've bought their seed for years and they're great. But, is this deal too good to be true?

Comments (15)

• steven399
    20 years ago

Hi Rose- I couldn't resist and ordered twelve- they must be having to hold them too long- They came in 18" tall,some with flowers so I could tell what color they were- tightly rootbound in 4' pots- While it took considerable time & effort to tease the rootballs apart to plant I'm really pleased with my bargain-

I ordered 12 of the Pine Knot strain from them under a similar deal 6 weeks ago and they came in 'normal'- Healthy 4" plants in 4" pots-still a bargain to me-

Good luck!

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

There's still a week to decide. If they're that good, I probably will break down and order within the next few days!

• DaveBien
    20 years ago

I received the same offer and ordered 10 plants. For some reason after I added the sale code in the total came to about $35.00 before shipping. $3.50 a plant... I was suprised that it came down to that, not sure if it was an error or due to the number of plants ordered. Quess I'll just wait and see.....

• wild_rose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Could it be because there's a 60% sale going on this weekend on everything at Parks? Maybe they added the 60% off to the already discounted price.

• DaveBien
    19 years ago

Well the 15 plants came in... they were a bit large for the pot size and a couple were in bloom. 2 of the plants had broken stems but otherwise all were ok. For the price not a bad deal. Off into the shade garden this weekend if it doesn't rain too much.

• Jennys_garden
    19 years ago

Darn! I missed the sale! I would have bought those. Do you know if they do the 60% off sales often? I have a ton to buy this fall.

• DaveBien
    19 years ago

Jenny, when I got mine out of the pots they were pretty root bound, so give them a call. If they have more I'm willing to bet that they'll really want to get them out of inventory. Worth a try...

• giboosi_alttara
    19 years ago

I ordered them a month ago and they haven't shipped yet.

• giboosi_alttara
    19 years ago

Got them yesterday, and I thought they were a nice size for the price. Very potbound, but healthy looking.

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

I just ordered 'Pine Knot Strain' on sale from them last week. I can't wait to receive it. It'll be my very first Hellebore. I've ordered from Parks and Wayside this year and have been VERY happy with them and all my plants. :)

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

Mine arrived last week while I was away and I was scared the plant would be dried up inside the box....but it looks wonderful! It is a nice sturdy little "bush" of healthy leaves. I am going to try to plant it today if I can figure out where!

• trader79
    19 years ago

I would like to order Royal Heritage from them. Wondering if it is too late to plant them here in SE Michigan as the night time temps are already in 40s. Rookie Gardener here..appreciate any helpful info

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I have the same question, trader79. I live in Upstate NY near Lake Ontario and I just a gallon pot hellebore from Wayside for 8 bucks. I couldn't resist the price (compared to what I paid this past spring!). Only one of the two I ordered this past spring is doing well, so I wanted another in case the less healthy one peters out.
    I'm also curious as to whether you can grow hellebores indoors.

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

Although I live across the pond in temperate 8-9 zone where it is no problem planting anytime before Christmas(we get out heaviest frost in Feb). I have a sister in Toronto which I guess is similar zone 4-5 as you have. I gave her 60 hellebores for Christmas last year and she planted them in Christmas week. As far as I know they're all doing well. However the ground wasn't frozen when she planted them and they had heavy snowfall soon after, actually provides quite a bit of protection under snow.

I'm sure there are guys over there with experience of your conditions who can say whether my sister has been lucky or whether it is safe to plant now.

Cheers Greenmanplants

• lblack61
    19 years ago

Thanks for responding :-) I recieved my new hellebore just the other day. It's in great condition. I think that I prefer getting a gallon-size plant rather than the smaller sizes since hellebores grow slowly.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES