Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Move my hellebore??

Posted by rgvnewf z5 NL,Canada (My Page) on
Mon, May 1, 06 at 7:57

I have a well established H.niger under a blue spruce. This year I wanted to actually make the area around the tree into a bed by removing a couple of inches of clay around the area, building a stone retaining wall about 4-5 inches high, and filling the area in with good garden soil. My question is should I dig up my hellebore and re-plant it at the new soil level or is it OK to leave the plant where it is and add the new soil directly over it, probably to a depth of 3-4 inches. Which way would cause the least amount of harm to my beloved hellebore. The plan around the bed is to showcase the H.niger, so I really don't want to lose it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Move my hellebore??

I think I can guarantee that H. niger will not like being buried under 3-4 inches of even the best of soils. Still, I hate to recommend lifting it, as niger is a rather touchy plant compared to X hybridus. Sounds like you're between the proverbial Devil and the deep blue sea.

George

o
RE: Move my hellebore??

I would be more concerned with disturbing the surface roots of the Colorado Spruce, by removing soil. You will run less risk of impacting the tree by just top dressing your bed, if you really feel the need to. Helleborus should be planted and left alone. But sometimes they need to be moved, just remember large soil ball. The crown of the plant should be an inch below the soil surface, with an inch of mulch. Feed it with 10-10-10 water soluable fertilizer. Hope this helps.
Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here