Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvespa_gw

Different color flowers on 1 plant?

Mvespa
19 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if one Helleborus plant will produce the different flower colors. I received 2 Royal Heritage plants from Wayside and ordered them because of the beautiful colors that they showed. After I received the pots and saw that only 1 plant was in each pot, I started to wonder if my flowers were all going to be the same color?

Comments (5)

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

Generally speaking, all flowers on an individual plant are very similar; however, there are some cases where a good deal of variation can occur. The main difference I see is between the flowers that open early vs late in the season. On the same plant flowers that open in December or January can appear quite different than those in March or April. Differences in size, shape, and color are possible. For example, one of my picotee plants with pronounced dark pink markings recently produced smaller, nearly pure white flowers in it's final push of the season. Very early (or late) blooms can also have aesthetic and reproductive deformities as well. As for why this is the case, I don't claim to know entirely but of course environmental conditions are certainly different across various months. Radical differences in appearance could suggest more than one plant together. Without close supervision, it is very possible for two seedlings to grow side by side and become "one plant".

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

You can sometimes find that a seed has dropped into the crown of an established plant, germinated and grown up through the plant. hardly noticeable sometimes if from the parent and very similar, but I had a green grow through a purple this way and it looked most peculiar.

First seasons flowers or "out of season" flowers can be quite different, single on doubles etc. I sometimes get a flush of flowers in August, these are normally pretty puny compared with the spring growth and never seem to set seed, they're also almost entirely hidden by the leaves which are in full growth at that time. So I've taken the choice now to remove any out of season flowers as they don't do much and may weaken the spring flush.

Cheers Greenmanplants

• appraisalserv1_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

I have a flower that I found and it has 2 distinctive flowers on the bloom. One is a pinkish bloom with 7 or more petals while down the shaft there are orchid type flowers around the stalk that are yellow. Does anyone know what I have

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Is it a hellebore you are talking about? Or just a plant with two types of flowers? I suggest you take a picture and post it on the Name that Plant Forum here on garden web. You also need to give information on where is was growing (both habitat and area of the country). It's not possible to id your plant from a description alone.

• claysoil
    12 years ago

You have two pots each with one plant. Will the flowers of the one plant be just like the flowers of the other? It depends on what you ordered. If it was just "Royal Heritage", you never know what you will get. If they were named plants (White Strain, Ruby's Pride, etc) then they should look the same.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting