Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebores in zone 9?

Posted by Jason_D_B 9a NE FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 15:51

Will hellebores grow in zone 9? I know they take cold weather but nowhere does it say that they have to have cold or distinctive seasons for them to bloom. Can anyone help me with this? I would like to have some.
-Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebores in zone 9?

They will certainly grow in your climate but may not be very long-lived. They're extremely drought tolerant once established and may be prone to a lot of fungal issues in areas of high summer humidity. And many perennials tend to be more short lived when they do not experience distinct seasonal changes or the more common vernalization periods colder climates offer. This is often an issue in warm, almost frost-free locations like SoCal or parts of Florida.

The ones that might do best for you would be those found in warmer, more Mediterranean climates - perhaps H. lividus or H. argutifolius. The oriental hybrids - Helleborus x hybridus, with the bright and varied flower colors - are the ones less likely to do well for you, unfortunately.

o
RE: Hellebores in zone 9?

Thank you for the tips! I'm going to go buy some hellebores! I couldn't find that info anywhere.
Thanks again!
-Jason

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here