Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this plant a helebore?

Posted by KittyKat77 z7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 16:30

I posted this on "Name that plant!" and so far the only response I got suggested some type of helibore. Thought I'd ask the experts if this could be the case:

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this plant a helebore?

Since no one is responding I'll jump in. This forum goes strangly dormant sometime). It does look like a hellebore. One of the orientalis hybrids...but, I want to say it is not...and I am not 100% sure why. Is this a recent picture form this spring or last summer?

Maybe someone of the more knowledgable folks will jump in.

Michael

o

These pictures were taken yesterday and day before yesterday, when I first noticed this odd plant under my gardenia bush. I suspect it's just a weed, but I got curious and wanted an idnetification before I just dig it out. If it turns out to be a beneficial flowering plant I'll leave it to flourish...

thanks for responding!

o

It's not a hellebore.

o

Ok Carol grows quite a few. So I think I would have to go with her.

One last question, when did you notice it? Where you are hellebores would be up really early.

o

It looks like pacyysandra

o

It doesn't look like any of my hellebores.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 05 at 1:46

Try this spelling: Pachysandra.

o

I don't know anything about hellebores but it doesn't look like a pachysandra to me... from my experience, the vine tends to run more in a line than "spread" like it appears in this picture. But I'm not an expert on pachysandra either!

o

I know this is an old post, but I think that plant is Goldenseal. It is a native plant that is harvested for its medicinal properties.

o

It is not goldenseal either, though I am a big goldenseal fan and grow a good bit of it in the garden. It's a nice hellebore relative and makes neat little colonies. Please compare photos below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrastis canadensis

o

did you try
Aegopodium podagraria -
Zevenblad : Podagraire, herbe aux goutteux : Ground-elder : Giersch

I googled for the pictures , so just guess

johan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here