Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mass of aphids on gorgeous flowers!! Help!

Posted by kristenc Z6 WA (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 18:00

I have two hellebores that are in their second year next to my front door. I cut them back in late March and they have put out masses of glorious flowers and leaves -- only to get what was a bad aphid infestation which I carefully hosed off about 2 weeks ago...now 2 weeks later there are twice as many aphids, literally covering the stems and backs of leaves. There is also (I assume not coincidentally) quite a bit of the sticky "condensation" on many of the leaves, and all in all its just a sad thing. As much as it would break my heart to cut the flowers off, I don't know what else to do. I really don't have the time these days to do aphid patrol as often as it appears I would need to keep these plants nice.

Any suggestions at all would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mass of aphids on gorgeous flowers!! Help!

It is very much time to cut the flowers off!! Hellebores in this area start blooming in February and by the end of May, the flowers are well past their prime and have set seed - even though they may still look somewhat attractive, it's time. Hellebores have their own species of aphid and they tend to appear at the end of the season when the flowers have gone over - in fact, many hellebore growers use their arrival as an indication that it IS the proper time to remove old flowers. Once the flowers are gone, the aphids pretty much disappear.

btw, the "sticky condensation" is honeydew or aphid excrement. Just wash it off. If you don't, it can be an invitation to the development of sooty mold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here