Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
helleborus not flowering

Posted by cree 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 21:18

I first purchased my helleborus hybridus last year sometime during the summer and it had flowers at the time. I planted it in a pot outside (due to living in an apartment) and it over-wintered wonderfully. I was very excited to see new leaves coming up in March but that's all that happened. The leaves look happy and healthy, but there are no flowers. Did something go wrong???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: helleborus not flowering

Hello cree,

First, what kind of hellebore is it? If the plant is healthy overall I wouldn't worry. It's possible that it was grown in ideal conditions before you purchased it and 'got ahead of itself'. What size pot did you use, and what sort of media/fertilizer? The other major factor (and maybe the primary factor) is how much light it gets. If it is getting mostly shade then that could be the problem. The more light it gets in late spring-summer, the more blooms it will have later. Growing long term in pots can be a bit challenging with some hellebores.

Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here