Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace'

Posted by addictedtohosta 4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 22:15

Hello!
I live in zone 4, southern MN.
At a local nursery yesterday, I spotted Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace' and I was drawn to it! I had never seen a plant like this before. At $20 a pot (a large pot), I thought I had better do some research on it before purchasing. I would love this in my shade/hosta garden. I can't remember if the tag stated a cold hardiness zone, but in researching it, most sites say it is only hardy down to zone 6. One site stated it was zone 4. Has anyone in zones 4/5 ever tried this beautiful hellebore in their gardens? Any ideas on if I might have a chance of overwintering this plant? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace'

Not a chance of surviving inground in your zone, sorry. Argutifolius is quite a bit less cold tolerant than most other popular hellebores and IMO, zone 6 is even a bit of a stretch.

Somewhat tender compared to most species, H. argutifolius will tolerate freezing temperatures, but prolonged periods of cold can harm foliage. Long periods of extreme cold will also affect stems and roots. My plants endure occasional temperatures of 0-10 degrees F (-18 to -12 C) and survive, but frequently the growth remains stunted and flowering significantly reduced.
(from hellebores.org) 0-10F typically corresponds with hardiness zone 7.

While I'd not normally consider hellebores great container plants, argutifolius is better suited to this method than most, so if you want to grow this plant for longer than a single season, I'd seriously consider a suitably sized container that can be brought into a protected location over winter.

o
RE: Helleborus argutifolius 'Silver Lace'

Thanks for the info, gardengal. I'll have to check out the tag the next time I'm at the nurery, and ask about it. I don't know why they would sell this in Zone 4, and at $20 a pot, it's a little expensive to risk. It would be tempting to put in a pot though, if I could get it at half that price. It is a eye-catching plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here