Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old at gardening, new at Helebores.....

Posted by daylilyfan 5/6_OH (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 03 at 23:53

A good friend of mine has given me at least 30 seedling helebores that he grew from seed he got somewhere in Michigan - anyway the parents are supposed to be some of the newest fancy things going. Well, I have the babies lined out in great soil, where they will get a few hours of morning sun.

Questions are
1) how much room can I expect a full grown helebore to take up in the shade border?
2) how many years until seedlings bloom?
3) any special fertilizing they need?
4) how much sun a day can they take?

I have tons of perennials, but these are my first helebores....

I know I could bother my friend with these questions - but he's off on a trip trying to find and photograph native American gingers for a book he's writing, and won't be back for quite a while.

Thanks so much...
Jules

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old at gardening, new at Helebores.....

1) A full grown hellebore (H.x hybridus) will take a three foot square.
2) In your zone it should take three years for H.x hybridus.
3) Helleborus x hybridus likes fertilizer, any kind, they are a very hungry plant.
4) More sun than you think they need. In good, deep, humus soil, with irrigation in dry spells, Helleborus x hybridus in your zone will thrive in full sun.

Welcome to the hellebore forum, good luck with your seedlings. Are they Helleborus x hybridus?

Always Gardening,
bruceNH

o

THANKS for the response. My friend gave me a call from the road, and I asked him about the hellebores... told him I posted to this forum..... and he got them from Washington, not Michigan, and he made the seeds from seedlings he selected out there. Boy was I way off on my info! I don't know what hybrids they are. But, when I visited my friend earlier this spring, he showed me the seedlings he selected and brought back. FABULOUS array of shapes and colors... one was a near white with pink picotee edge. I hope to get the images I took that day up on my web page, and when I do I'll post back to this forum. I am glad they can take sun - I don't have enough shade for 30 plants 3 feet across! The soil they are in has had composted manure, alfalfa pellets, and hardwood mulch tilled into the soil a year or so ago. The daylilies thrive there, so am hoping the hellebores will to.
Jules

o

Sounds like you have good taste in friends....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here