Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Got Seeds!

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 8:41

Woo-hoo, I managed to finally collect seeds from my h. niger. I also have a few seeds from a really dark red/purple h. hybridus. That one's seeds are ripening very sporadically, so I hope to have more over the next month.

I missed getting any seeds last year because the seed pods dropped all their seeds when I wasn't looking. This year I cut up nylons and tied little hoodies over the seedpods so I wouldn't lose the seeds again.

I am experimenting with some of the H. niger seeds. I folded them into a damp paper towel and then put that in a plasic baggie with a few holes punched in it and am monitoring it at room temp. Trying to simulate the warm phase needed before the cold phase of seed germination.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Got Seeds!

Sounds interesting! I grew one from seed that I got two falls ago. One came up last spring! I was so pleased! It's growing and healthy now. It's so rewarding, especially considering how difficult it is! I hope all goes well!

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 12:40

Experiment #2: I stored a few of the seeds in a dry ziplock, but the seeds started to look all wrinkly after only a couple weeks. So I put them in their own damp paper towel and they plumped up again. Note to self: Don't store seeds dry!

o

I was wondering if anyone happened to have extra hellebore seeds they'd be willing to share? Send me an email to chat about it if anyone is willing to trade or has any to spare for a SASE or a bubblie. :)

~Bright Blessings
Tina Marie

o

So, what is the update Lois? Niger might take 2 years to sprout, not sure. I finally had several seedlings around one plant last fall and I moved them around. Have yet to see how many made it. But, once your plant starts producing viable seed, you should get plenty of babies. If you missed getting seeds in 2010, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are popping up now around the parent plants.

And those dark hellebore? My experience has been that less than 10% of their progeny will be dark too....I just got 30 seeds of dark doubles from Tasmania with an 80% true to parent rating. They are in the fridge for a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here