Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

ouch! burning fingers - anything I can put on this

christie_sw_mo
19 years ago

ok I learned my lesson. Is there anything I can put on the ends of my fingers that will make the burning go away. I've washed my hands about five times. This surprised me. I've taken seeds out of pods many times with no reaction but I'm definitely having one today. Ouch Ouch Ouch

Comments (5)

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Don't know what you can do to fix it but certainly don't rub your eyes or any other sensitive skin. I eventually blistered slightly on the tips of my fingers and they were numb for a good few days. Absolutely fine now!

Mine was from an unripe H.sternia that had a broken flower stem and I forced the pods open to salvage the seed, still quite juicy. Never had it before, more careful now not to force pods.

Commiserations, Greenmanplants

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    19 years ago

I did the same thing last year harvesting seeds; not normally sensitive to plant saps, I've never had a reaction to euphorbia, monkshood or any of the others that people complain about. You could feel the burning for a few days, and later experience some peeling. Soaking your hands after washing, applying a bit of 1% cortisone cream might help...that's what I did, although I have no proof that time might not have done the same...No lasting damage here, just a little uncomfortable. I'll be wearing latex gloves gathering h. foetidus seeds from now on (or any of them).

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My fingers aren't burning anymore but they're still sensitive. I can't touch anything hot. My eyes started burning when I was picking out seeds but that went away pretty quickly. I didn't think to use aloe but that might have helped too.

• ladybug1
    19 years ago

I generally just cut off the brown flowers and stems (didn't know about harvesting seeds). Are you all saying that the sap in hellebores burns? What in the world is in it. Maybe that is why pests tend to leave it alone.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    19 years ago

I have had an occasional aphid infestation (maybe aphids don't have nervous systems, or don't become depressed) on new growth on my h. Foetidus, happens when the new stems are appearing before I've removed the foliage and flowers from the previous season...If I'm not paying attention I can miss the problem with the new tender shoots...
    Hellebores:
    "Poisonous Part -
    All parts.
    Symptoms
    Possibly causing burning of mouth and throat, salivation, vomiting, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, nervous symptoms, depression.
    Toxic Principle
    Protoanemonin.
    Severity
    TOXIC ONLY IF LARGE QUANTITIES EATEN. SKIN IRRITATION."