Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FAQs????

Posted by beth_b_Kodiak MD Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 12:16

I came looking for a FAQ section as I suspect my questions are very common for beginners. Ok, I'll ask them anyway.
When/how do I collect/store the seeds?
Is winter sowing the best method? I did this with some commercial seeds this year and got about 60% germination. In general I like WS but am open to suggestions or advice.
I had a "Christmas Rose" about 30 years ago but it stayed with the house when we moved. I look foreward to having lots more now in my new garden. They seem to have become very popular and much "Improved" but the plant breeders.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FAQs????

Beth,

There was talk of a FAQ section but it never seems to come to anything.

Collect seeds just as the pods are popping open by themselves. For me that's now. If they "Pop" with a gently squeeze along the seam they are ready, seed should be grey at this stage, white is slightly underripe and black means they will probably have fallen out already.

I hand pollinate some and these are marked with a bit of wool tying a plant label with the details of the cross.
generally collecting seed is easy either chop the flower stems into a plastic container, or pop the pods in situ and shake the seeds out, depends how many you're doing, how accessible they are, and whether you want to leave the sepals on the plant as some of them remain decorative for a while.
Store in a zip lock bag in the fridge or preferably sow them straight away, they need a period of warmth in the soil prior to a chill before germinating. Sowing immediately should give near 100% germination, see the chain "How do you sow yours" below.
Cheers Greenmanplants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here