Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering time

Posted by TheCuteness z5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 04 at 14:20

Hi, everyone. I just bought three hellebores, and planted them in the dappled shade under a maple tree next to epimediums and variegated solomon's seal. Two of them are H. orientalis hybrids (One speckled pink, one dark blue; I tried to get the species but couldn't), and one H. niger. I saw some H. orientalis blooming early this spring around here and thought it was beautiful.
Well, to the point. Does anyone grow H. niger in zone 5, and if so when does yours bloom? I have heard of it blooming in December in Massachusets, and hoped beyond hope -- is it really and actually a Christmas Rose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering time

Mine started blooming in early March and is still blooming. This is its second or third year blooming. Mine is a hybrid, I think. My second one did not bloom yet, maybe next spring.

o
RE: Flowering time

There are many European legends surrounding the Christmas-rose (H. niger). One of them is that a poor young shepherdess named Madelon started to cry because she didn't have a gift for baby Jesus and she shed tears in the snow near the stable in Bethlehem. An angel came down and showed the girl flowers blooming where her tears had fallen, so she picked them and gave them to the baby Jesus. (Historians have shown that the plant is not native to the Holy Land, however.)

To your point however, H.niger can flower at Christmas in a mild zone8-9 climate. Probably when the temperature reaches 8-10 degrees centigrade(40-45 F) for 10 days or so. This has not been scientifically measured by me, simply observation on plants in the garden, the one in the most sheltered spot always flowers first, and varies from year to year according to the weather we have had.

So I guess in Zone 5, you'll be seeing it in March??

Cheers Greenmanplants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here