Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superphosphate

'Lady' Series via Jelitto seed : unimpressive

superphosphate
19 years ago

I had one plant that looked like the photos in the catalogue.

All the others were plain Janes, many with small flowers.

At $.50 per seed.

What is a good variety from seed?

Swaps for good seed anybody?

Comments (10)

• jgwoodard
    19 years ago

Hi superphosphate,
    Sorry to hear about the disappointment. I have seen the photos used for this 'series' in Jelitto and many other places. The colors are so vivid, and it certainly is enticing.
    Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to predict what one will get when growing acaulesent hybrid hellebores from seed. Even if the parent is hand-pollinated and is of outstanding quality, there is no guarantee that the resulting seedlings will turn out similarly. Having said that, it is possible to grow great plants from seed. As far as Jelitto and the Gisela Schmiemann seeds go, all the seeds you will get are open pollinated. Some may be great plants, but they are not likely to resemble what is advertised in most cases.
    My advice is to grow as many as you have space for from many different sources and get rid of plants that you consider inferior. Over time a nice collection can be achieved through careful selection. Alternatively, some people like to invest in mature plants purchased in flower and work with the genetics from that angle.
    Another way is to look at photos of plants you like on this or other forums and see if someone would be willing to attempt hand pollinating and saving seed for you.
    You can order direct from Gisela Schmiemann, Will Mclewin, Ashwood, Elizabeth Town in Tasmania, Pine Knot Farms in Virginia, etc... etc.... Still, you will get mixed results no matter where you order from. Good luck and happy planting.

• dixiefern_lycos_com
    17 years ago

I haven't had experience with the Lady series, but I do know what has happened to Royal Heritage. As it was the only named series in the US, it was taken on by big wholesale nurseries who just continued to use every seed from every plant and all of the selection work done by John Elsley, the original breeder, was diluted and it became the same as any other seed mix. There are seed strains available that have a higher quality line. The Brandywine series is bred by David Culp and all seeds are hand collected from his original plants by him, so there is no dilution of the strain. Dick and Judith Tyler at Pine Knot Nursery also do a good job with maintaining the purity of their strains. Fear not, however. I hear that tissue culture is improving quickly and there will be individual named selections readily available in the next few years, so you'll know what you are getting!

• Tim_M
    17 years ago

Hello blueschiz, it's interesting that you say fear not, as I am at the other end of the scale where I am extremely fearful of tissue culture with hellebores. What I see happening is the producers of TC hybrids applying fancy (and often ridiculous) names to hundreds of different types of hybrid hellebore and from that point on we will be in the same state as roses, snowdrops, etc. - new names being applied to plants with the tiniest difference from those before them.

When people come to buy my hybrid hellebores they have a huge choice of plants. What I find unattractive (but not a poor plant - there is a difference) others find wonderful. If TC takes off big time, I see the choice being limited, not expanded. Rather than spur me on to produce more and more seed grown hybrids, I find that the whole prospect of TC'd hybrid hellebores has lead me to the decision to turn my back on hybrids and in the future I will concentrate on species hellebores exclusively.

It's interesting that some nurseries have dropped the word 'strain' and are using 'series' instead. I don't like the use of either word. Using them implies that the plants offered are different to those offered by other sources. OK, I can accept that the quality may be better, but in terms of anything else I don't believe that's the case.

I've said it many times before that if the top ten hellebore nurseries in the world donated one hybrid (say a yellow or dark violet flowered hybrid), lined them all up on a table in identical pots and compost, I don't believe that those nurseries could pick out their own plants.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

IMO, I don't believe there is currently market demand in the US to support the venture into micropropagation of H. x hybridus. I visited a wholesale perennial grower recently, that had many racks of seed grown plants, many in bud, some with partially open flowers and none had been sold! During the 2 hours that I was there, did not observe another customer examine or inquire about them.
    As I am always looking for that unique plant that is always possible from open pollinated, seed grown stock, I couldn't resist bringing home a flat of them, Besides, the price was less than buying from some far away nursery and paying for shipping and I was allowed to select the plants I purchased.
    Who can say, I may find another breeder! Is there a possible "Razorback Seed Strain" in the future? Horrors!
    Rb

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Around here, hellebores were offered everywhere this spring for the first time. They did seem to sit around and go on sale but most disappeared by the end of the season. There were Sunshine series and Royal Heritage.
    So I ran from store to store trying to locate something special from all that was offered. Most of the plants were past prime and not at all shapely. The flowers were small and greenish pink, a few white. I didn't come across any slates, reds - nothing interesting. I did buy a small flowered pure white that later speckled a little (Sunshine). Would they do better in the ground? I don't know but the "wow" factor wasn't there for the general public.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

RB, we are about to see how well the US market accepts TC/micropropagation of x hybridus. Briggs Nursery, already a leader in the micropropagation of woody plants, has joined with Burpees in promoting a group of Heronswood Nursery developed hellebores - three x hybridus named cultivars and a nigracors hybrid, all developed and grown by tissue culture. My nursery will be introducing them to our local market in February. I have already seen the plants and I am impressed at their vigor and the uniformity and consistency of the flower production and appearance.

I will say that the tissue culture hellebores that are already on the market - i.e., 'Ivory Prince' - have met with great customer response and are extremely reliable, high quality plants. I'd hope to see that trend continued with clonal x hybridus offerings.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

gardengal48---
    Found some TC x hybridus at a local wholesaler in Sept.
    They were small (4"), but several had buds and later bloomed. All of those were white and were sold at first sight. There may have been other colors available, but were labeled only as x hybridus. They were contracted to a lab overseas, probably Poland, as that is where their TC Hostas are from.
    H. argutifolius 'Silver Lace' is also in TC (maybe Skagit?), as I saw those at a local specialty nursery. I'm unsure how those will perform in my climate, since I've had mixed results with 'Janet Starnes'. Managed to keep one alive, but it is not a robust plant, like the species. Even my x sternii are stellar performers here. Haven't found the right formula yet for growing x nigercors. They all seem to perish in the first summer. I never give up trying any of the Helleborus species.
    Rb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

RB - go for the 'Silver Lace' (yes, it is TC'd by Skagit, same as 'Ivory Prince'). Again a strong, robust plant and only differs from the straight species by a much paler foliage color and mottling. I have problems with 'Janet Starnes' as well.......she's done well enough (needs LOTS of sun) but not very robust and after 5 years, is starting to lose a lot of the variegation. The patterning is not nearly as distinct as it once was :-(

I'm not the biggest fan of x hybridus (I may have mentioned that a few dozen times - LOL!) but I can't pass up any other species or hybrid form. Except straight niger - they are just botrytis magnets in my climate.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

gardengal48---
    Heeded your recomendation and purchased 2 of the H.a. 'Silver Lace' and received a third one free, that I promptly included in a trade package with some species tulips and an Oxblood lily, exchanged for a Calanthe bicolor 'Eco Ruby Gold' and an uncommon Hippeastrum hybrid (H. aulicum x H. traubii).
    H. niger has performed well for me. Have 2 versions of 'Potter's Wheel' (if there is still such a cultivar in cultivation?) and some Blackthorne selections, one which has flowers that makes 'Potter;s Wheel' look shameful. Once grew 'White Magic', but it struggled and eventually died!
    Rb

• johandk
    17 years ago

Hello all

Interesting discussion , perhaps one good advice ; always buy Hellebore in bloom !
    In some cases a picture can be helpful but an error is always possible .
    And even then ; the microclimate of your garden can influence the color .

For a small period I was not participating on the Garden-web , my Domain-name
    and address was ' stolen ' .
    Now I started again , those who are interested can have a look at ' fynwerk.info ' ,
    A lot of information and pictures concern the discussion we have here on the web .

johan

Brussels zone 8

Here is a link that might be useful: fynwerk

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH