Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving my babies

Posted by kate8Smith 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 19:21

I have about 20 hellebores that I adore. They have been in the ground for about three years. We will be moving in November. I think October or November would be the best time to transplant but would welcome any advice . . . Also, I want to put them underneath an old oak tree, but I'm leary of digging around the base of the tree. I don't want to hurt it. Please send wisdom my way!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving my babies

Kate,

Oak trees are resilient and have large tap roots that may descend as high as the tree rises, digging a little round the base should not do any real harm.

I would transplant a bit earlier, give the plants some tme to re-establish before the onset of winter. Prepare your soil with a good deal of humus, removing weeds and competing roots from the tree( a few small bits removed should not harm). Water your plants well the day before lifting them. Transplant quickly with quite a bit of soil. Do not let the roots dry out, they should be fine. Keep well watered for a couple of weeks

Cheers Greenmanplants

o

hi kate,
i agree with all greenmanplants said. i have just transplanted about 100 plants or so and must do twice that many (at least) more in the next week. these are amazingly resilient plants, and certainly the oak will be just fine. in mid tn we haven't had much rain onsite and the process is going quite well. plant in evening or early morning as you have time. most hellebores won't even show signs that they've been moved. the roots are significant, so try to dig as much below ground as you see above ground. in most cases it won't be as drastic but better to be safe if possible. i water the plants the day before transplanting and immediately after... then as needed for the next week or two. i grow mostly in sun adjacent to oaks so no worries. and i second the advice to move them earlier if possible just so they'll establish before winter.

o

I have just moved 20 plants in Melbourne (Aussie). (It's winter here with daily temps 12-14 C and nights down to 5-7 C) I cut off most of the older leaves so that only flower buds and new leaves were left, dug out a wedge of soil and potted them into 8 inch pots. So far so good!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here