Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How 'promiscuous' is Odorus?

Posted by claysoil z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 19:33

I've collected seed from my odorus plants, which I grew from seed from Tim Murphy when he wild collected in the Balkins. I'm wondering how "pure" they will be since these plants are ringed by hybridus. I believe that odorus were crossed with hybridus by some breeders, but wonder if they are difficult to cross.

There have been numerous seedlings around the plants for 2 years, and I have transplanted them, but they could be from seed that washed down the hill from the hybridus. the true test will be seed collected from the plants themselves.

Anyone with more experience who can share some info? 3 years is a long time to wait....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How 'promiscuous' is Odorus?

wow posted in june, no replies?
odorus is very 'promiscuous' with xhybridus.
I have not hybridized with odorus...so I would not know what a violet HXH x odorus might look like?
I do save odorus seed though, and I do self the odorus very early in the season....before the pollinators are out (bumble bees).
claysoil if your interest is to harvest odorus seed from a selected known species you should pollinate with its own pollen or pollen from a different known odorus. Your odorus should be netted to protect it from pollinators.
if I had strong interest in greens and yellow HXH I would use odorus with HXH creams and white.
Do you still have the collection #
odorus is a sweet hellebore

o

Thanks for your response Bruce. I have the collection number somewhere, but fear that I may not know which of two batches this patch is. I like the idea of netting the flowers to keep the pollinators off because I really do want more "pure" odorus. They are so beautiful in their simplicity. I was hoping that the answer would be "they are really hard to cross....."

o

"they are really hard to cross....."

well odorus has a decent large flower, great growth rate, hardy and is easy to grow.

the foliage is broad, like orientalis.

and this brings another possibility to hybridization....

well..i am getting lost in the possibilities.

hey, find that collection number, tag that hellebore, collect that seed. if you have any other of Tim's collected seed grown species hellebore label it and keep it growing!

the thing to remember with Tim's study and collection is that Tim usually collected in the same regions. you can have different TM collection numbers from year to year that are from the same collection site.

any TM or WM species seed grown hellebore are very rare

love talkin species hellebore, thanks

o

Well, the good news is that the seeds I collected from the odorus popped up in their pots this spring. Apparently the bad news is that I have 3 years to wait to see what they will turn into. I did manage to free up a garden bed for them though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here