Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Leaves?

Posted by swontgirl_z5a 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 21:14

I planted several new Hellebores this spring. I think they are all x Hybridus. Previous to that I only had 2. Some have sent up new leaves and the old ones have died off. Some haven't sent up new leaves and the old ones are still alive. A couple haven't sent up new leaves and the old ones look dried up. Is this normal and are the ones with dried up leaves still alive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Leaves?

Dried up foliage is not doing anything for the plant and should be removed. It can harbor disease issues and looks pretty funky :-) Acaulescent types of hellebores - like x hybridus - should have old foliage cut back routinely each year and no need to wait until it is dry or dead looking.

You are fine as long as there is healthy, green foliage on the plant. No healthy, green foliage at all means your plant is seriously ailing, if not dead. I wouldn't necessarily toss them immediately - they can sometimes rebound from very adverse circumstances - but it doesn't sound promising.

o

Thanks Gardengal. That's what I figured. I checked again today and everything has some green foliage except Pink Frost. It was a really healthy plant to start with so that puzzles me but we did have a drought all through May and maybe it didn't get enough water even though I tried to water everything new. Pink Parachutes hasn't grown new foliage but what it has is still green although blown over. I think the others have all grown some new leaves even if just one.

o

'Pink Frost' is not an xhybridus - it is a ballardiae hybrid, so signficantly different parentage. And it is a caulescent type as opposed to acaulescent - flowers and leaves on same stem. These only have their foliage cut back once the blooms have finished, so two birds with one stone :-) Cut the spent stem to the base of the plant. But like all other hellebores I have encountered, it should have pushed up new growth from the root crown while still in bloom. If this is missing now - no green at all - I'm afraid you may have lost this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here