Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally signs of germination!!!

Posted by rgvnewf z5 NL,Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 21:41

I received Elizabeth Town hellebore seeds in late March. I potted most of them up and placed them in the fridge. I left them there for two months, then moved them outside to get the second warm stage. To date these still have not shown any signs of sprouting. I kept back 12 seeds which I left in the shipping packages and placed them in the fridge. Upon checking these this weekend (June 11) I noticed that all 12 seeds have sent out a root. I quickly took these germinated seeds and planted them ir 6in pots. I hope to see seed leaves very soon!!! I am still holding out hope for the seeds that were planted right away, spent two months in the fridge, and now reside in a shaded place in my backyard awaiting germination.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally signs of germination!!!

Good old fridge for those frost germinators.

o

Ya know, this year's germination does seem to be running behind last year's. This is only my second year with their seed. I was getting worried there, but sprouts are still popping up out of the soil here in zone 6. I received mine in January and also did the fridge method for 2 months and just put some outside. Hang on to those pots!

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 14:23

Were your ETs a little slower too? My seed pots go outdoors each year in early January, germinate approx April, and in the past I'm potting them individually in June. This year germination was later by 4 - 6 weeks, I didn't know if it was our weather conditions (which may have been slightly warmer, but not overly so)

Helleborus Slatey Grey - now 100 %
Helleborus Niger var Macranthus - poor, 3 of 12 seeds up
Anemone Flowered Vicki - now 100 %
Red Spotted Singles - nearly all have germinated
Green Spotted - slow, just three seedlings here too

o

I have finally seen a couple of seedlings poking their heads out of the soil in the pots that were refrigerated and moved outside!! I hope that this is a sign of more seedlings to come. The seeds that have just popped up were from the "pot luck" package. Still nothing, though, from the "dark strain" and the "red spotted". I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

o

congratulations! isn't it fun?

o

I can't remember when I planted my seeds from ET but a few just sent up their cotyldon leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here