Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dividing the plants

Posted by diane_v_44 Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 22:01

In my garden are several hellebore plants
In southern Ontario, where I live and garden, the plants seem to really thrive
Surprises me as it is quite cold here but we do get lots of snow.

A lot of the bloom is finished now, and I was thinking to divide the plants.
I would think that it is no big deal to do so and the timing would not matter so much As long as they are after transplanting and divided, watered well and for a week or so.

Would this be correct.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dividing the plants

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 23:22

Diane, forget the fact that this is a 'Martha' video if you are not a fan, and zero in on Dan Hinkley dividing hellebores.

Note the plant is in full bloom, so sometime in winter to later winter, earliest Spring - before new foliage has begun to emerge. And of course you've removed all from the previous year to enjoy those flowers, which you would now be cutting off to divide....

I'm in a very forgiving climate and while I would use Dans method for my most special plants, I might be tempted to divide later in Spring some of those that are more common. I don't know about July though, and tomorrow it is July...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hinkley, hellebore division

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here