Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do the seedlings look like?

Posted by Wiveka_Ritzl Sweden (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 5:29

Hello,

Last summer I planted fresh Helleborus seeds. Now the pot is full of something that looks like blades of grass but there is also one seedling that has two leafs that looks like a helleborus. I have a faint memory that there was one blade of grass last autumn, is it so that hellebourses germinates with blades that looks like grass and then get the adult shape the second year? Or is my pot full of weeds?

Wiveka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do the seedlings look like?

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 10:06

I think you have some weeds in your pot, but certainly hang on to it if you have one that has germinated that may be a real seedling...Here's a photo from our gallery page -

Here is a link that might be useful: seedlings

o

Hello there in Sweden!

I hope you have a nice little seedling coming up there. MorZ8 put up a good photo of the relatively large, oval seed leaves from x hybridus (orientalis). If that's what you have growing, the first true leaf that emerges after these seed leaves will look a bit like a three-leaf clover.

It's probably a good idea to gently pull out the grass growing in your pot, as grasses are very competitive and will take up space, water, light and nutrients that your emerging seedlings will need. I hope you get lots more germination.

Best,
Elizabeth

o

Wiveka,

I potted up some fresh hellebore seeds and I, too, have small blades of grass-looking seedlings.

I'm waiting to see what they look like later on; I'm not going to pull them up yet.

Piksi

o

I agree with "woadwoman" and just want to add that usually Helleborus seedlings are quite stiff and glossy....

yours:Stefan

Here is a link that might be useful: www.sandersson.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here