Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Hellebores

Posted by daisydo 6 TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 12:16

I have been growing hellebores for several years, but I'm not educated on how to care for them. They seem to like living in my flower beds, because the multiply like crazy and grow to be quite large. My question, should you prune them? I haven't in the past, but this year some are droopy, and just for appearance sake, I though they might need pruning. Under the mother plant's are dozens of seedlings. I usually pot some up, or more them to other parts of the garden. I wondered if moving the protection of the mother plant leaves would harm or hurt them, even though I could never have need for all of them. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Hellebores

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 10:49

daisydo, do you know which type hellebores you have? I cut back all of the old foliage from Lenten Rose-type Helleborus/Oriental Hybrids in winter or just as the new blooming stems are beginning to push through the ground. The new flowers look so much better without last years leaves hanging around, the old foliage is usually looking pretty tattered by then, removing it reduces the risk of any overwinter leaf spot diseases spreading to new growth. I will cut off individual leaves at the base as needed during summer into fall if those are somehow damaged or in the way of something - i.e. insect chewed, occasionally sunburned etc.

Do not cut back Helleborus niger, H. argutifolius, H. foetidus types all at once in the same way - on those you will remove the old stalks back to the base yearly when the flowers fade.

The new seedlings don't need the mother plant, and sadly most of us don't have room for all the seedlings a plant can produce. Move or pot those you'd like to keep, weed out or give away the others. Another option is to deadhead your hellebores - remove the flowering stalks - as the flowers have faded and before the seed pods have fully ripened and spilled their seeds onto the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here