Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Strange Hellebore !!

Posted by Geoforce z7a SE PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 15:20

I have only a few hellebores in my garden, and am certainly no expert on them, but this seems very strange to me.

I planted an un-bloomed 'royal heritage' plant last summer. It bloomed this spring as a nice, outfacing flower of the typical dark maroon color. I cut off the flower stalk in late june, as it was growing new leaves, and it seemed to settle in for the season. But...

I noticed on Monday that it was sending up a new flower stalk, and the buds, which are already starting to unfurl, on this stalk are a gorgeous very pale pink color. They are totally unlike the spring buds. I have my camera ready when they fully open, and perhaps then I can post pics of both colors, because I could hardly believe the diferences.

Is this likely a freakish seasional thing, or a mutation, or possibly another plant which had come along for the ride in the one I bought? Also, what would make it bloom in this time of year?

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Strange Hellebore !!

George,

Young plants quite often throw a flower stem in mid to late summer, often not at all like the true plant, usually (although I have not aggressively tried to hand pollinate) barren in that no seed is set suggesting that the flower is incomplete in more than just colour, I've not recorded when and where but my recollections are of single stems with 1-3 flowers usually quite pale.

I do not know the reasons why any of this happens, but you sometimes also see it after a transplant and I would guess the plants chemistry gets a little thrown.

They've always reverted back to normal afterwards.

Your theory that you have 2 plants together is also possible, but difficult to verify without digging it/them up and pulling them apart..better left until spring to see whether you revert to what you expected.

Cheers Greenmanplants.

o

Other people report the same observation ,
Hxhybridus flowering out of their period give paler colors and smaller flowers .
My observation , in my garden , is that less than 10% of my paler colors ( only green and white ) flower out of their season and especially those in pots .
The age is not so important . Some plants have flowers with acceptable shape and color . Can we select them and make crosses for reflowering ?
To my opinion , as I could not find information on reflowering capacity for hellebore , it has to do with stress .
I observe also that repotting ( transplanting etc ) gives always a higher percentage of flowering out of time plants .
Other garden plants do the same ex. Iris

johan

o

a recent discussion of this topic:

Here is a link that might be useful: hellebore prebloom

o

Thank you Joseph for posting that link. I read it with great interest. I am surprised that the flowers are mostly described as incomplete, and infertile as in other species I have seen double season bloom in this does not appear to be the case. Perhaps the non staminate flowers could be fertilized with stored pollen, but I see no value in such.

Thanks again.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here