Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

Moved a hellebore, now it may be dying

thane
16 years ago

I got a few small hellebores of unknown type at a plant swap in fall, and plopped them in the ground in an area where the garden design is still taking shape. As such I found it necessary to move one about a month ago. I've been trying to keep it watered, but its single leaf palm has gradually turned brown over the last 3-4 weeks. It's still got some green but only a bit at this point. The brown started at the tips and moved inward, with the remaining green areas left around the stem.

Is it likely toast, or is there a chance it'll sprout some new foliage later in the year?

Comments (10)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Thane, it might be fine when the weather cools again if you don't mind looking at it for now.

I repotted some two year old hellebores just yesterday and they had developing growth points at the crown. Did you notice any on your own when you moved it?

• thane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It didn't seem to have any new growth developing when I moved it. If it had, would that mean that I had killed the new growth? So it's more likely to put up some new leaves as it is?

Thanks for the reply...

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Helleborus resent being moved and the foliage almost always wilts and flops over on the ground. The stem may have been bruised during the move, which would account for the browning. Hold off on the water, just keep the soil moist and be sure that you have good drainage in the new location,
    They will not survive in wet, soggy soil. It should resprout new foliage later on, but could be as late as spring, as that is the usual time they produce new foliage.
    If your soil is acidic, I would add a few tsps. of Dolomitic Lime or superphospate around it to raise the pH, as they appreciate a more alkaline soil.
    It should be fine. Any setback is just temporary.
    They are frequently shipped halfway around the world, bareroot and survive!
    Rb

16 years ago

Thane, no, I didn't mean you may have killed the new growth, just that it might soon be sending up better looking foliage.

I find these to be tough and forgiving plants, especially the oriental hybrids, in our mild maritime climate. As soon as the days begin to shorten a little and Fall rains start (much sooner than I will be ready for :)), you may well find your plant improving. I moved a few from a heavy clay area in summer a few years ago so I could amend the soil with more compost (like I should have done initially). I potted them, put them back in better ground late September and they never missed a beat.

• thane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excellent! I can't wait to see what kind of blooms these three mystery hellebores produce. Also can't wait to unload my wallet at the hellebore sale this winter...

• sassafrass_2006
    16 years ago

Hi Thane
    I am up north of you......Hellebore sale this winter...Where???......
    Thanks green thumb

• thane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Northwest Perennial Alliance has a hellebore sale in late winter at the Bellevue Botanical Garden. They have all kinds of other early spring perennials there, but the main thing I remember from the last one is scads and scads of hellebores of all colors.

• covella
    16 years ago

I've got an H. foetidus that I moved last fall, and it has gradually waned away to just one leaf. Do you think I should move it again? The soil is heavily amended - in fact it might be a little over-rich. Other than that I can't think what might be the problem. There are 3 more H. orientalis very close that are healthy.

• thane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it pushed up a few green shoots but they quickly fell to the cold snap we just had. I hope to see more, but I'm thinking I won't get to see it bloom this year. (I have no idea what color it is.)

16 years ago

Thane, my oriental hybrids flower stalks layed down flat and limp with our cold - it's 40F, hailing and raining while snowing this afternoon and they are beginning to stand back up again. Don't give up hope :)

Flower stalks on H. foetidus didn't even bend, just stood there like on a tropical island vacation.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County