Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenholm

Cut down orientalis foliage in December?

kirstenholm
19 years ago

I've been trying to find out as much about the "care and feeding" of my new hellebores as I can. Some of the outer stalks/leaves on one plant are droopy, but I'm thinking that it might be transplant shock and eventually they will wither away and I'll remove them (carefully). For the most part the plants are looking healthy, with a bunch of bright green new leaves coming up.

I've been reading from a number of different sources, and one book said to cut down the foliage of the orientalis in December so it won't interfere with the flowers. Is this what most people do? I haven't read that anywhere else. Seems a little drastic, but these are new plants to me so who knows. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• bruceNH
    19 years ago

It all depends on your winter and how unattractive the leaves become. I like to wait for the new growth to emerge. But, if you have problems with black spot and other fungus rots you may wish to trim up in the fall.
    Every year and region is different.

Kindly,
    Bruce

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

Like Bruce, I cut orientalis foliage off in the early spring as the new flower buds are coming through. But then we have relatively mild winters and the mound of foliage remains until removed. There is no doubt in my mind that leaving the topgrowth in place allows the plants to continue to grow during any mild winter periods. This is most noticeable with seedlings.

Over winter, the outer leaves will gradually die down to lie on the soil, it is here, especially if they are damaged, that you can pick up fungal infections from the soil.

I normally have a bit of a tidy up in late October, after leaf-fall, at that stage remove any torn or damaged leaves, and certainly any with black spots on them. These leaves should be burnt or disposed of, not composted as they harbour virus and fungal infections. Also remove any leaf litter from round the crown, if you have a very dense clump of leaves, it's worth thinning out a few as this will help the free flow of air round the crowns which helps defend against fungal growth. You can also check newly planted plants are securely planted and haven't rocked loose in the wind.

The rest of the leaves are left to protect the crown of the plant through the winter, fallen leaves and twigs etc get deflected and they provide a bit of wintergreen foliage.

When you see new buds at about 2", that's a good time to remove the rest of the last seasons foliage and give the plants a mulch at the same time, spent mushroom compost is best(alkaline) but leaf-mould or any weed free, non peat based mulch from a garden centre will do.

Cheers Greenmanplants

• kirstenholm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm keeping these posts and will follow your instructions. I'm really looking forward to seeing how these plants do!

• lgkovalcik
    19 years ago

Hi Kirsten,

Two more thoughts on cutting back the foliage. Use a very sharp clippers - the foliage is tough and yanking is definately not the way to go. Also, some folks eperience a rash after handling the leaves. You may want to wear gloves to protect your skin.

Our winters here are mild, and I don't see much leaf damage. The flowers are much easier to see and enjoy if I cut back at least the largest leaves when the first flowers are peaking out.

Enjoy - hellebores are so lovely!

Laura

• Stefan_Sweden
    19 years ago

Hi..
    I usually cut the old when the new growth shows it self just abow ground.. Here in Sweden (South) jan or Feb...

Here is a link that might be useful: www.sandersson.com

Sponsored