Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Ordering from Pine Knot

dbarron
9 years ago

Anyone ordered there? Do you think that quarts from there are likely to bloom next year ? I've got my eyes on some of the Northwest Garden Nursery Hellebores, they are more expensive (sigh), but it does appear their color lines are better...of course maybe they just took photos of better plants.

Thoughts ?

Comments (11)

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, you all are too late...I took the plunge and ordered a couple. I hadn't had any hellebores at this house, so now that'll be remedied for early next spring bloom.
    I chose 2 out of 3 (Judith's choice) of (White Pearl, Golden Sunrise, and Apricot). I look forward to seeing what Judith picked out for me, as I really didn't have enough preferences in me to narrow down one more.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since I'm talking to myself, I might as well update myself...the hellebores come tomorrow.
    Are the beds ready ? No...I'll dig holes tomorrow or next day.
    I'll update myself on how they look and maybe post pictures tomorrow.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here are the plants...really I somewhat expected more for $20 a pot.
    The first one is Golden Sunrise (a bit white on the foliage?)

The second White Pearl (pure green foliage)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

LOL!! Did you have a nice conversation??

Would have replied sooner but have been waiting seems like forever for new internet connection so haven't visited forums recently. I haven't looked too hard as my nursery grows these plants onsite but I would think the Winter Jewels collection should be available from any number of retailers. I know Plant Delights sells the doubles anyway. And if you have a local retail nursery that carries Monrovia product, you can piggyback a personal retail order directly with their next delivery.

I guess what this is leading up to is that $20 for a quart sized pot is what I would consider excessive. We sell well-developed gallons for that price. But then again, I seldom have any need to do any plants by mail order, which is usually always on the more expensive side. I was in the market for a Golden Sunrise myself but opted instead for Golden Lotus......the only double I have (not overly fond of the doubles). Regardless, the color is great!

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't care for the doubles. I primarily ordered from PK because they have such a wonderful rep (and indeed the plants are healthy I think).
    I don't see much of any here locally, besides pure mixed hellebore (no idea what you're buying), though I did see a Betty Rancor this spring somewhere.

• bogturtle
    9 years ago

Such easy, long blooming plants, with foliage that is such a plus. Steered clear of them for years, but a handful of bonemeal and they get better and better.
    Mine wait until Spring is here, but I have only two sorts.

• geoforce
    9 years ago

I have ordered from PK and also bought at their nursery and at sales around Delaware and SE Pennsylvania and was always happy with the plants.

Haven't bought any Hellebore plants in the last 5 years or so as the self seeding of the ones I have presents new and excitingly different ones every year as the seedlings come to flowering size. On that score, H. foetidus is practically an invasive weed as seedlings come up all over the beds and lawn, up to 50-100 feet from the parents. I am particularly fond of the 'Anemone Flowered' ones , and the doubles keep sending out new ones of these in a fair number as well as the doubles and singles.

O.T. where in Oklahoma? I grew up just north of Tahlequah. Been living up here in PA for the last 45 years though.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geoforce, I didn't get email from the thread and just moved...to Springdale, AR. However, I used to live in Chelsea, OK.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    9 years ago

Here's my second year Helleborus x orientalis PK Select White, grown with too much afternoon sun. Not much to compare with, since the other Select White I ordered barely has one leaf after being moved twice and getting even more fried (both moved this year to shadier location). I also ordered 'Joseph Lemper' and 'Nell Lewis' from them. It's true that the plants arrived looking rather small compared to a local nursery, but a large part of what you pay for is selection. Can't get 'Joseph Lemper' or 'Nell Lewis' from the local nursery. Would I order from them again? Yes (but now that I know what they need in my climate I would plant them differently).

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Morning sun seems to do best for them in Oklahoma.

• nanapam02
    9 years ago

I love Pine Knott Farms. They are very friendly, knowledgeable and their plants are amazing. I've never lost a one. Though the way they have multiplied I would like to lose some now. I can't imagine buying from anywhere else. The gardens around their home are so peaceful that you want to sit and think about buying more plants.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio