Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwheels

Hellebores for Southern California?

gardenwheels
20 years ago

I've always loved hellebores -- though I'm no expert -- and had luck with them in my last garden in the Hudson Valley in New York. Now I'm starting over with a garden in Los Angeles. Any suggestions on Hellebore species or hybrids that would do well in this warm, dry climate? Thanks.

Comments (2)

• Bryan Lampl
    20 years ago

what research i have done shows that they would do just fine in our climate. i purchased a black flowered hybrid this year. it was planted in a shaded area and hasn't done a thing. a friend of mine told me to be patient and let it set roots. good luck.

• Elenan
    20 years ago

The one to avoid is H. niger, the Christmas Rose, all the others do well in Southern California providing they are planted properly and given adequate feeding, water and mulch. H. argutifloius, H. lividus and H. x sternii are among the best for our area. Heronswood Nursery in the state of Washington has a fabulous collection, pricey but worth it. It's hard to find the plants in local garden centers, but they can be special ordered from Armstrong's. Since you are new to California gardening, you should have a copy of Sunset's Western Garden Book and refer to it constantly!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus