Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthomizzy

New to hellebores

esthomizzy
18 years ago

I've just ordered some (though they apparently wont arrive until November and I'm impatient) can I plant them next to hardy geraniums so the geraniums will flower in summer and the hellebores winter? This will be a the base of roses and a few other vines along my fence if that has any relevance.

Comments (7)

• Peter60
    18 years ago

A moist, narrow shady border is ideal for Helleborus. I see no reason why the situation you describe should not be satisfactory. They also like organic soil so where you actually plant turn in some garden compost or well rotted manure; also mulch around the plants in summer to conserve moisture - never mulch over dry soil though; do so after rain and then it will help to keep moisture in on hot summer days.

My Website

• CITI_GARDENER_TX
    18 years ago

Hi.... If you are impatient, you will will learn patience waiting for Hellebores to bloom. I had them for three or four years now and I havent seen a petal yet.
    Good luck :)

• jgwoodard
    18 years ago

Hi esthomizzy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of hellebores. You are fortunate to have some elite suppliers in your country. You will enjoy them I promise. Happy gardening.

Joseph

• Tim_M
    18 years ago

Peter, a shady site being ideal for hellebores is nothing more than received wisdom. Hellebores are shade tolerant, and will grow in quite heavy shade, but will grow with much more vigour and produace more flowers if grown in full sun, especially in the UK.

I have seen many hellebore species in the wild across the Balkans, and I can say that without exception, the plants with the most flowers on them are in full sun. There are some colonies where plants are growing in open meadows, which runs into light deciduous woodland, and then into dense woodland which creates deep shade. Plants in the open meadows have many flowers, plants in the light woodland have fewer, and plants in the deep shade often have no flowers at all - just lots of foliage.

I have several hundred hellebores here (hybrids & species), and they are all in full sun, in a south facing position. Also esthomizzy, hardy geraniums will make a very nice planting partner for your hellebores. There are several places in the Balkans where hellebores and Geranium phaeum grow alongside one another - very nice to see.

• tyshee
    18 years ago

Tim, thanks for your advise on sun. I have had them for four years. Nice healthy plants growing in shade and partial shade. Next spring they will go the full sun as I have never had a bloom on them. I never heard of anyone growing them in the sun so decided to come over here and read what others said about them. I got some in a trade and brought some from a nursery in Wash.. This year for the first time a nursery here had them but didn't even know for sure if they would survive here. I already knew they would but I want more than leaves. Any more advise on getting blooms. They have rich organic soil. They get water on a regular basis. I think sunny location is the key. tyshee@acsalaska.net

• esthomizzy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

I'd agree that most hellebores would prefer a sunnier as opposed to shadier location and some species absolutely need sun to thrive. Also, IME they are far more drought tolerant than generally considered and not all that fussy about enriched soils.

tyshee, your climate zone may be precluding much blooming. Forming buds may be damaged by late season cold spells. I have no idea which hellebores you are attempting to grow, but suggest you mulch xhybridus and niger (a couple of the most cold hardy selections) with something like conifer branches for some added winter protection. The lightness and airyness of the branches will allow the foliage to grow without rotting under a heavier mulch, yet still provide some protection from the cold.