Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_rose_gw

Where are the Hellebores?

georgia-rose
16 years ago

Has anyone seen them at local nurseries?

I usually find them beginning in September, often forced into bud and bloom. This year, there are none to be found. When I ask, I'm told it's too early, come back in December?

Wonder if the drought has something to do with it?

Comments (12)

• yhtak
    16 years ago

If you're near Chattanooga, TN the Barn Nursery just off the interstate has Silver Moon Hellebore (white) and another lime green one, I can't remember the name. They have 8" pots for $16.99. It's an excellent nursery...worth a day trip to visit.

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reference, but I am about 125 miles south of there. Considering the price of gasoline around here, it is cost prohibitive to travel more than 25 miles to purchase anything today! :Wish I were closer, as I would love to have the H. x 'Silvermoon' or 'Silver Moon', a hybrid of mysterious parentage from Germany.

• natalie4b
    16 years ago

I saw some in Pikes last week - Hwy.92 in Roswell. They had about a dozen of containers.
    Natalie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how "mysterious" 'Silver Moon' truly is :-) It is a named selection of x ericsmithii, a hybrid of lividus and argutifolius (x sternii) and niger. It was selected for its rather large, white flowers, but all ericsmithii's have great foliage attributes as well.

As to availability, it may help to consider it from the garden center point of view. Many garden centers and retail nurseries are simply resellers, not growing their own plants but purchasing them from wholesale growers and reselling them to the buying public. In many cases, the availability at GC's will be governed by seasonal considerations - the perennials they sell will be available on a rotating basis based on their blooming habits. Spring blooming perennials will be most prevalent in the spring, late bloomers in late season, etc. Because hellebores are fully evergreen in my climate, I do offer them year round, but by far the largest selection will be available in mid to late winter when the plants bloom. A blooming perennial will attract far more attention and customer demand than one that is not in its bloom season.

Unless you are located in an area that offers perennials on a year round basis (and many GC's do not) as well as one that carries an extensive selection of hellebores, you may be better off ordering a less common selection, like 'Silver Moon', by mail order.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Helleborus x 'Silvermoon' is offered by various European nurseries as a selection of H. x ericsmithii, H. x nigercors, H. x ballardiae or even H. x sternii. It was supposedly bred in Germany, using crosses of 3 different species. Could be a cultivar à la H. x 'Ivory Prince', where the breeder has no determination of the various crosses used to produce the end result.
    Rb

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guess I'll have to forget about local nurseries stocking much of anything this fall. Because of the extreme drought conditions and a total ban on outdoor watering, many nurseries have cancelled all incoming deliveries and marked down their existing inventory. But that is no incentive to buy, since we aren't able to water them. once we get them home. The water shortage is really serious here and not many people are willing to risk heavy fines and in some cases, jail time, if caught watering their plants.
    The US Army Corps of Engineers controls the discharge from our only water source and they are rapidly draining it, on orders from the USFWS, to maintain a level water flow into some downstream mussel beds, said to be an endangered species. You would think that the health(sanitation), safety(fire fighting) and well being(drinking water) of more than 6 million people would be more important. Think again, people!

• goswimmin
    16 years ago

Georgia Rose, I am in the Gainesville, GA area and do sell hellebores. If interested lety me know and I will send you pictures of what I have.
    Mary/Gainesville, GA

Here is a link that might be useful: picasaweb album

• susie_60nc
    16 years ago

HI Georgia Rose, please email me...........Diane
    tdjh@bellsouth.net

• natalie4b
    16 years ago

Georgia Rose, there are some in Home Depot on Hw.92 in Roswell, GA.
    Natalie

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Pam....
    Thought you might be interested in the Plant Patent issued for HGC 'Silvermoon'.
    Although it has the same parentage as H. x ericsmithii (H. niger[pod] X H. x sternii[pollen], there is no mention made of that similarity in the application. :Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: HGC 'Silvermoon' - PP15639

• laurabs
    16 years ago

PDN carries many Hellebores. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Note there are 2 pages of Hellebores

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, laurabs, but PDN is definitely not on my preferred provider list! Long story, put to rest many years ago.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES