Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_me_coast

Wintering over potted babies

joan_me_coast
21 years ago

I have some potted helebore babies, they are in 4" W X about 6" deep pots right now. These little guys are this past winter's sprouts, so they are small, but have good new growth. I have them in my small 5'x7'x 8' Solar Prism Greenhouse right now. I also have some seeds in pots that Bruce generously sent to me this early fall. The question is will they be alright in the greenhouse for the winter when the day temp gets quite warm, but will freeze at night? What are your suggestions? Bruce said he keeps them in an unheated shed, but my greenhouse gets quite warm during the day even in the dead of winter. I also have some rooted rose cuttings in the GH. Thanks for any help you can give me. Joan

Comments (5)

• bruceNH
    21 years ago

Hi Joan,
    I think your greenhouse would be too hot and out side too cold. Mary sent me some seedlings to but they have been planted in the garden for some time now and should winter fine.

A sunny windowsill in a cool room would do nicely. My seed is outside now but will be brought in for the winter in a few weeks and grown sunny and cool. Ideal temps would be 40deg.F for a low to about 70deg.F for a high. You do not want them to grow too fast, Then they would need to be transplanted into larger pots and require more room. Be sure not to over water in the cool temps. Let them dry out well between watering.
    Kindly,
    Bruce

• joan_me_coast
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thank you Bruce and Taryn for your help, it is much appreciated. My concern now is the lack of a sunny window in a cool room. On the south side of our house we have a sunroom, one window in the bathroom, and one window in the bedroom. The house is pretty evenly heated, sunroom ofcorse gets warmer on a sunny day. We have windows in the rest of the rooms with sun exposure from all angles. The basement has windows all around (raised ranch) but we have a woodstove down there, so it is cozy warm there, too. Will the seeds and babies be ok in windows other than a southern exposure, and in a place that is not cool, but 70ish at a pretty constant temp? Guess I will just have to do the best I can, and hope it is the right thing, what are your suggestions? Thanks again, Joan

• bruceNH
    21 years ago

Sun, they like sun! 70 deg. would be fine. I have kept mine in the sun-room, but now I have too many and they will be wintered in a cool greenhouse.

Remember not to over-water, I let mine dry out between watering to the point of wilting.

Bruce

• joan_me_coast
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks, Bruce, I really do appreciate your help. I will move them from the greenhouse when I get home from work. Guess it is the sunroom for them, and what I can fit on the other 2 window sills. I had 6" window sills put on all the windows, guess you plant buddies know why I did that!! Will have some kind of thing for the basement windows, too, when we can get to it. I have been keeping the babies watered, I hope I have not messed them up by not letting them dry out between waterings. They have been kept evenly moist. Being a rookie at helebores, these babies may have a rough row to hoe with my learn-as-you-go and lack of experience.
    Take Care,
    Joan

• Terry_NY
    20 years ago

Seeing we are going into fall once again, I thought this would be good to get back up to the beginning of the posts. Bruce, you may remember my million and one questions on how to start the seeds. If you could be so patient again, or if anyone else can help it would be appreciated. I have an unheated basement with windows and this is where my seeds got their start last winter. Should they go back there later in the season? Temps dropped quite low last year in this part of the basement-could have gone as low as the 30s on the below zero nights. Also part of my problem is to put them upstairs I have to deal with the cats. Hope everyone has a good labor day!

Sponsored