Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rinomanfroni

Where can I buy Hellebores old enough they bloom on 1st year?

rinomanfroni
13 years ago

Last year I bought 6 plants of Hellebores from American Meadows on line and only one plant bloomed the following Spring.

What is the website of a good online nursery that sells big plants of Hellebores that will bloom in the Spring of 2011?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• richardgiardini
    13 years ago

Oh boy.....hope this, my first post, doesn't get me in trouble. you can check out my web site, www.LentenRose.com

Here is a link that might be useful: lenten roses

• graywings123
    13 years ago

At least you are up front about the fact that it's your own site!

I have a question about sun and hellebores. I moved into a house with an established, lovely hellebore in the yard and it gets a great deal more sunshine than growers seem to recommend. It's growing alongside a rosebush and several peonies, all doing well. Why do growers stress shade for hellebores?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Why do growers stress shade for hellebores?

Because they are less familiar with the natural growing conditions of hellebores than they'd like to think? Or that hellebores are shade lovers is a myth that is just very difficult to move away from :-)

This is a topic that has irked me for ages. Nearly every site you encounter - with the noted exception of our own Joseph Woodard's excellent hellebores.org - will stress the need for siting hellebores in shade, why I am not entirely sure. Hellebores in their natural setting are not focused on shade - most can be found in very open settings along forest verges or in rocky meadows. At most they may receive only a small bit of shade -- in their natural setting, Corsican hellebore (Helleborus argutifolius) grow in full sun in rocky crags and hillsides in Sardinia and Corsica!

In most parts of this country, hellebores can grow and perform beautifully in more sun than shade. I'd limit shade placement to those areas that experience hot summers and even then provide as much early day sun as possible. It's been my experience that hellbores thrive in sun with only modest shelter from the hottest part of the day or form the most intense sun. They produce erect, upright plants with a profusion of flowers in these locations.

As to locating plants of size to bloom, most garden centers will carry sufficiently large plants that will bloom the first year - they are frequently sold in bloom at these outlets so that the consumer can confirm flower color. If ordering by mail, look for vendors that provide plants larger than 4" sizes. Most of the larger hellebore speciality nurseries - Heronswood, PDN, Pine Knot, Sunshine Farms, etc. - do so.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to online vendors

• atlantasassybelle
    13 years ago

I just ordered 4 from Green Thumbs Galore (in Chattanooga, TN). They are noted on their site with the % chance of bloom for the following spring, so no guess work. I got 2 that have a 100% chance, and 2 with 50% chance and plan to see the 2nd set bloom in 2012.

• napapen
    13 years ago

I have purchased several plants from them, this year and last and the plants are doing well. They are on ebay too.

Penny

• HighDviolin_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Well, Hellebore is a toxic plant or herb used in the Wiccan religon. The berries are toxic and where used by roman wifes to kill their husbands. Emaiol me!

Here is a link that might be useful: This is a list of herbs

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Hellebores do not produce berries, so not sure exactly what plant you are talking about! Helleborus plants are toxic (but then so are 95% of the plants we commonly grow in our gardens) - they contain alkaloids and cardiac glycosides but were used herbally for centuries as a purgative and a diuretic as well as having narcotic properties. The glycosides, harvested mostly from the roots, were used as a cardiac stimulant for treating heart conditions, much like digitalis (derived from foxgloves).

Since the degree of toxicity is difficult to determine from the raw plant, it is disused by modern herbalists. And of course medical applications are more efficiently and more safely derived from controlled synthetic processes.

But since most gardeners tend not to eat their hellebores, there's not much concern about growing them :-)

• botirick_aol_com
    13 years ago

OK, I just was reading up on where to purchase these that will bloom this spring and I saw where a post said that the plants could be toxic. I had read that before but I am now wondering if this is what I want. I was planning to surround my goldfish pond with these. Would that not be a good idea, since maybe the fish may get some of the blooms or leaves or something from the plant? I am now real confused about my choice. Thanks, Donna

• susie_60nc
    13 years ago

I have thousands of Hellebore Plants .......I think if you eat them then they nay be toxic.If you can let such a mnior thing hold you back you will miss some beautiful plants in your yard...NOT JUST HELLEBORE.

Donna your pond would be beautiful with Hellebore around it.I also plant blue mountian phlox and ground orchids with the Hellebore.

• Ruth_MI
    13 years ago

I decided to try ordering some four-year+ plants from Richard's site (lentenrose.com), since I needed six plants and wanted them to have blooms next year. I already have a number of hellebores, some that I've grown from seed, but they all have homes and I needed more. Now. :)

Richard's communication was excellent. I ordered on Friday, my plants were shipped on Monday, and I have them today. They all had at least one bloom stalk, most have two, and they all have very healthy-looking root systems.

Postage was only about $8, and he throws in a free plant, so that covers the postage.

This isn't a place to order specific varieties for your collection. But if you want blooming plants, for a reasonable price, I think it's a great way to go, and I'd order there again.

Sponsored