Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dehor

My stripped hellebores - Will they bloom?

dehor
20 years ago

I just received some 1 gallon Helleborus Orientalis "Lady series", "Joy Hybrids" and H. Monsequer in the mail (my first experience with helleborus plants), and the nursery that sent them had stripped ALL the leaves off every plant. They sent a note saying that it was "standard procedure for plants shipped at this time of year, to strip the leaves".

I'm rather devastated that they did this, because I wanted the beautiful evergreen foliage in my garden this winter, plus I don't know now if they will bloom this spring because of it.

Optimistically assuming these plants are 3-year-olds -- will they still be able to bloom this spring even though all the foliage has been cut off?

Deborah

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

I wouldn't be too concerned. It is SOP to remove the old foliage of x hybridus types as the flower buds emerge in late winter, as the old foliage tends to look pretty ratty by then, you remove the potential to spread overwintering fungal problems to the flowers and new foliage and the removal of the foliage really showcases the blossoms, which can sometimes be obscured by too tall/full old foliage. If the plants are healthy, removal of the foliage now will have no effect on their ability to bloom this season.

• goswimmin
    20 years ago

I was surprised to read that a nursery would strip the leaves before they sent out the hellebores. I would think the plant might like to have those leaves for photosynthesis in the winter but I don't know.
    I'd love to hear you write that they did indeed bloom this spring. Maybe the leaves did have some damage to them.
    Mary

• dehor
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I was using the same logic as you, Mary -- what will happen with photosynthesis, for sure.

I will definitely report back here this spring, whether or not they bloomed. Gardengal has made me feel much more optimistic, so my fingers are crossed.

Deborah

• Greenmanplants
    20 years ago

Be reassured, I would agree fully with Gardengal at this time of year it is standard practice for nurseries to strip the leaves before shipping. Much easier for them, little or no harm for the hellebores and greatly reduced possibility of getting fungal infections through tissue damaged in transit.
    I took all the leaves off my H.hybridus yesterday, as the new flower buds are coming through and it's much easier to remove leaves from the plants when you don't have to be quite so careful.
    Once established, even with clean healthy plants it's still worth taking the leaves off between now and February, as this allows you to see the new blooms coming through and it also prevents wind rock, getting a space round the collar which is caused by the winter winds rocking (especially newly planted) plants in the ground. This space can fill with water and freeze causing lots of damage or loss.
    As a general rule, if you want to keep the evergreen foliage, have a look at this time of year and take off any damaged or prostrate leaves(rubbing on the ground in the winter can allow fungal attack if the tissue once gets damaged). Gently firm the soil round the collar if it needs it. Leave the rest of the leaves through till first bud burst Jan-March depending on your plants and situation. Then carefully prune the rest of this years leaves off, giving a good organic humous rich mulch at the same time. This will not only give you a chance to see your plants really close up, but will also give you a chance to show them off to perfection, freshly mulched. It's a good time too to make notes on which you want to split, dig out, move, hand pollinate for seed etc.
    You can play silly games like tracking how many leaves you cut off each successive year, a good indication of how strong your growth is.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers, Greenmanplants

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting