Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does anyone know H. 'Spotted Lady'?

Posted by scrollo LA, CA z.23 (scrollo@aol.com) on
Mon, Oct 27, 03 at 23:39

I just got this one & can't find any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does anyone know H. 'Spotted Lady'?

Named cultivars of what I am assuming is a Helleborus x hybridus are pretty rare and, in most cases, somewhat suspect. Because these plants hybridize so easily, getting a true clone of a named cultivar is a gamble, unless the plant has been reproduced asexually. Spotted or freckled forms of hybridus are very common - perhaps this is just a strain with heavily spotted flowers? What type of info are you looking for, exactly?

o
RE: does anyone know H. 'Spotted Lady'?

I think it is one of the Helleborus x hybridus "Lady" series developed by Gisela Schmiemann (the one who inherited the Ballard plants). There is 'Blue Lady' White....Red...etc...... Apparently she grows large beds of similar color and pattern to help increase chances of similar offspring.
They are becoming quite common commercially and the seeds and plants are easy to come by these days. I have been reluctant to buy them so would be interested in how they turn out. The commercial photos I have seen are nice.
One of our members got his seeds from Jelitto and suggested they are strong growers as I recall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here