Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I cut back H. foetidus?

Posted by loxley z8, BC Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 1:21

I have some lovely and fairly large clumps of hellebore foetidus. Before they bloom this year, do I cut them back? My other hellebores seem to do better when cut back in the late fall before they start to grow again. These are taller and larger..should they be treated the same way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I cut back H. foetidus?

• Posted by loxley z8, BC Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 1:31

oops--I think it's H. argutifolius

o
RE: should I cut back H. foetidus?

Both H. foetidus and H. argutifolius are caulescent or stemmed hellebores - flowers appear on the same stems as the foliage. Generally, these types of hellebores are NOT cut back in winter......you'd be cutting off all the flowering potential. Cutting back of these types of hellebores is done after flowering. Old flowering stems are taken as far back as practical on the plant, allowing new growth to emerge that will eventually carry the next season's flowers.

Typically, the only types of hellebores to benefit from having old foliage removed in winter are the acaulescent or stemless forms, like Helleborus x hybridus. This is normally done in late winter just as the flower buds form and begin to emerge from the soil. Too early removal of foliage can impact the plant's ability to photosynthesize properly and may reduce vigor and lower flowering potential.

btw, both H. foetidus and argutifolius would benefit from being sited in more sun than shade, especially in the PNW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here