Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Hellebore 'Sunmarble'

laceyvail 6A, WV
20 years ago

I bought this gorgeous variegated leaf hellebore from Barry Glick's nursery, Sunshine Farm and Gardens, last summer. He has just introduced it to the trade. The foliage is different from any other variegated leaf plant I've ever seen--light, grey/green marbling, subtle but definite, on a dark background. It's vigorous, has already put out a new leaf, and is so gorgeous I don't care if it never blooms!

Comments (19)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

It is great you like the plant as is - IME, variegated hellebores are much less likley to bloom heavily (if at all) and are far less robust than their all green counterparts. I have argutifolius 'Janet Starns', Pacific Frost' and a recent intro variegated foetidus (cultivar name escapes me) that are handsome plants but have yet to grow and bloom with the same abandon as other, non-variegated hellebores.

• goswimmin
    20 years ago

I would love to see a picture of the variegated leaves.
    Mary

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I wish I could post a picture. I'm a much better gardener than I am a computer user, and posting pics is beyond my skills.

• christie_sw_mo
    20 years ago

Sounds pretty. I found this picture on the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunmarble

• jakkom
    20 years ago

Oh, that's a nice foliage plant! Will have to see if it shows up in one of our local nurseries, hehehe....yet one more plant to shoehorn into my garden!

• DarkLadySlipper
    20 years ago

Now that is beautiful. I would love to grow one.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The plant can be mail ordered from Sunshine Farm and Gardens.

• pontesmanny
    20 years ago

I have two of them, too. The leaves are limp and have brown on the edges (not their best). But they certainly looked nice August to Jan (before the really cold weather set in).

How are yours doing, Laceyvail?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    20 years ago

pontesmanny, my 'Sunmarble' is under the snow, but it had two buds on it last time I could see it, so I have high hopes.

• lilysgarden
    20 years ago

I just received multiple 'Sunmarble' from Sunshine Farm & Gardens yesterday.... they are gorgeous! Healthy robust plants in 4" pots. I can surely see the H. lividus parentage in the foliage and red stems... I can't wait to see the H. niger parentage show through in hardiness and flower color!

One very happy customer of Barry's!

Lily

• pontesmanny
    20 years ago

Laceyvail:
    Where would I find the buds? The leaves have stalks that connect to a central stem almost at ground level. Currently, the plants are limp and laying on the ground. Are the buds right near the soil line?

Thanks

pontesmanny

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The buds are about 2 inches above the soil line. It sounds as if yours won't bloom this season. But there's always next year.

• pontesmanny
    20 years ago

laceyvail:

Thanks

pontesmanny

• pontesmanny
    20 years ago

I have several new shoots coming up on the two plants of "Sunred" that I have. The two "Sunmarble" are not yet showing any signs of growth.

pontesmanny

• addict
    20 years ago

Sorry guys but "sunmarble" is a marketing con. H ericsmithii has been around for years.It is highly variable and "sunmarble" actually isn't a particularly good example. All of the H. niger crosses are very beautiful and very variable.
    Can I make a plea? Please don't buy micropropped dross but support real nurseries and plantsmen/women who recross every year to produce the many variations that make Helleborus such a fascinating tribe!
    The UK has several nurseries who grow these hybrids and will send seed to the US

• addict
    20 years ago

Sorry guys but "sunmarble" is a marketing con. H ericsmithii has been around for years.It is highly variable and "sunmarble" actually isn't a particularly good example. All of the H. niger crosses are very beautiful and very variable but of limited if any fertility.

H.sternii "ashwoods strain" is far prettier has variagated foliage and superb leaf form (ok the flowers aren't white they're pink and green) and has the advatage of being fully fertile.
    I have grown some very interesting plants from variagated H. argutifolius.
    Can I make a plea? Please don't buy micropropped dross but support real nurseries and plantsmen/women who recross every year to produce the many variations that make Helleborus such a fascinating tribe!
    The Uk has several nurseries who grow these hybrids and will send seed to the US

• bruceNH
    20 years ago

Hellebore 'Sunmarble' on Ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebore 'Sunmarble' Ebay

• juliat
    18 years ago

I'm very happy with my 'sunmarble,' but I bought it directly from Barry at a plant sale, so it didn't have to go through packing, shipping and mailing. Here's a picture, taken yesterday:

Photograph (c) 2006 Gardens by Julia

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Thank you for the picture.

Addict, if you are still around, what are your favorite UK seed sources? (It is kind of fun to see your before and after editing!)

Sponsored