Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Helleborus from seed: preventing mold during fridge cycle?

Posted by maryneedssleep 6a (WV) (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 9:15

Any tips for preventing mold and mildew during the cold wet fridge cycle?

I used 8 weeks of warm (72F)/ moist followed by 8 weeks cool/moist (in my fridge, ~40F). I did not soak the seeds first (I now know to do that next time), but I watered the medium pretty well -- it was wet for the 1st couple days.

I used new, unopened, supposedly sterile growing medium in double ziplocs. Most seeds grew mold during the fridge cycle. None germinated.

For the next attempt, I first microwaved the growing medium for 10 min on high before using it (once it cooled). I also sprayed the seeds & medium with Captan fungicide. No luck -- still had mold. Again, very few seeds grew mold during the warm cycle (and I threw out those bags); the fridge cycle seemed to be the worst. So no germination with my 2nd attempt either.

Any suggestions? Should I just give up and buy plants?

Last question: how long does helleborus seed last? If I can get 2008 seed (which must be 18 months old now!), is it worth another attempt?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helleborus from seed: preventing mold during fridge cycle?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 11:45

I'm only guessing, but I wonder if your sowing medium could be too moist?

I haven't found seeds mildewing or molding to be an issue but my technique is a little different than yours...and I don't use a commercial fungicide.

Seeds from my own plants are sown within a month of harvest, pots are left outdoors. Seeds that are not from my own plants that arrive dry are soaked overnight, then put into a 2x3" zip lock of sterile moist (like a well squeezed sponge, not soggy) sand or sterile moist vermiculite. The bag doesn't need to be filled, just a teaspoon or two of medium is plenty for 20-40 seeds. The bag is dated and stays on my desk for 6-8 weeks.

When the moist warm period is completed, I sow the seeds (4x5" deep pots to allow for root growth), top pots with grit, and either place them outside, or wrap in saran and put into my refrigerator.

If you are ordering seeds, you might ask what year they were harvested - it should be close to the time that this years seeds are available.

o

Thank you for your help. I think I will buy a few plants to start out, and maybe I'll have better luck in the future with fresh seed from my own plants.

o

I just saw this post so this won't help you this year but next year when you put the seed in the refrigerator, use only vermiculite in the baggie with the seeds. With damp (not dripping wet) vermiculite I've never had any mold or mildew problems. I also put the seed in baggies with vermiculite for the warm moist stratification period. Then just transfer the baggie to the refrigerator. They germinate in in the refrigerator in the baggies. When I see green leaves I transplant them into pots.

I'm not certain but I think 18 month old seed may be too old for good germination. I've sown seed the January following its ripening and gotten good germination but eighteen months may be too long. The longer the seed is stored dry the more dessicated it becomes and at some point viability is lost.

o

Thanks Loretta! Next summer I will try again with just vermiculite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here