Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought blooming Christmas Rose

Posted by mlb86 6B NE TN (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 13:13

Yesterday I bought a blooming Helleborus niger selection named Joseph Lemper. It was apparently tissue cultured from a plant raised in Europe. Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning this variety? I have good luck with hybrid Lenten Roses but I have heard that H. niger can be more difficult.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought blooming Christmas Rose

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 16:46

I find the nigers not quite as easy in my own garden (oriental hybrids, foetidus) where my soil is clay based but heavily amended with organic materials over the years, acidic ph. In general, I understand the nigers do best with a humus rich soil (so it retains moisture while draining quickly), dappled shade in warmer summers like your own, and a ph more alkaline or at least neutral. Early on, I was reliably amending the area of nigers and nigercors to keep the ph a little higher, but admit to not doing that consistently more recently - I wonder if that wouldn't make a difference in the performance of my own plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebores.org 'Niger'

o

I'd agree with Mor in general re: H. niger but after several years of growing a variety of the HGC hellebores, I've found their nigers are extremely adaptable and pretty darn durable. Not fussy about soils (other than well-draining) very profusely blooming, very erect and far more resistant to botrytis than any other niger I've tried. I don't hesistate to recommend any in this selection of hellebores.....in fact, 'Cinnamon Snow' is rapidly becoming my go-to hellebore for alround good looks and long lasting blooms.

o

• Posted by mlb86 6B NE TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 14:11

Thanks for all the info morz and gardengal. I plan to plant the Joseph Lemper next week. I am going to add gravel for drainage and egg shells for lime to keep the soil alkaline. I really appreciate your responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here