Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dckate

help for my weak-stemmed orientalis?

DCKate
20 years ago

hello! i am a hellebore-besotted novice seeking advice about the yearlings (from pine knot farms) i planted two months ago. while my boughton beauties quickly established and thrived, my orientalis hybrid (ashwood) seem to have stems made of jelly. unstaked, they flop right onto the soil. (i should note that the leaves are green and healthy-seeming.) any advice on how i should fertilize or otherwise help them stand up straight?

thanks so much for this forum.

Comments (3)

• johandk
    20 years ago

hello ,

They passed a cold moment ? just wait .
    Or they need water ? don't wait until it rains !

johan

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

The mature foliage on the hybridus forms does tend to flop alot, specially if they are in much shade. I sometimes use a small perennial cage to support them in summer - in late fall I remove the old foliage anyway - the new growth, which will appear as the flower stalks mature, is much more upright. Avoid over-fertilizing or overwatering.

• Greenmanplants
    20 years ago

Don't worry, it's normal. Sometime between now and April you should trim this years foliage off, don't compost it, throw it out. Be careful not to damage any emerging flower stems. If they're new yearling plants, you probably will not have any bloom in the first year, in which case trim the old leaves off as the new ones are emerging and feed at that time(April-May). Feed again during the summer while the plants are in active growth, let them overwinter again, the leaves will probably be a bit more erect next year but will still tend to flop, trim them off when you see the flower stem buds emerging, Jan-Feb....and repeat for 40+ years.

Cheers, Greenmanplants

Sponsored