Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Color of Foliage stems on helleborus 'Ivory Prince'

katrina1
17 years ago

Is the foliage on the Ivory Prince an almost silvery or greyish/bluish green with red stems?

If so, that is the one which I purchased all the while wondering why it looked so unlike the other two supposed Royal Heritage Tm Helleborus

I came up with this question once finding again the register receipt when I purchased them. None of them were in bloom, and I had requested Royal Heritage TM Lenton Roses

The Nursery told me theirs were the Royal Heritage TM but now that I look closer at the receipt it only says I purchased, in additon to a Helleborus Ivory Prince, one each of Helleborus Orentalis Black and Red.

Are these truely not Royal Hertage TM? If not, when is each of the above three supposed to start blooming?

I really wanted winter through the earliest spring bloomers. Hopefully none of them are only spring and on bloomers.

The whole reason I wanted them was to have something to plant which bloomed in an evergreen azalea bed in the dreary winter months.

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Yes, that's a pretty good description of 'Ivory Prince'. See the attached link for what this great hellebore looks like both in foliage and flower. BTW, it is an entirely different hybrid from the x hybridus with different parentage and the foliage is distinctly different in shape and texture

Did not your plants come with a grower's tag? That is one of my biggest pet peeves with nurseries.......plants should be clearly tagged and labeled with the botanical name and at least a modicum of cultural/growing information. Especially trademarked and licensed plants, as both Royal Heritage and Ivory Prince are. There may even be regulations that require it.

Bloom time for any hellebore will depend on your location, the weather conditions and how it's sited. IME, 'Ivory Prince' blooms earlier and longer than any of the x hybridus. Haven't checked my own recently, but I'd expect to see them budding up soon. In your climate and in good light conditions, I'd not expect to see much from IP before February, perhaps even later and maybe not until late March for the x hybridus.

'Winter blooming' is a relative term :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:875041}}

• katrina1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, the pictures do look like it has an appealing bloom pattern. The leaves of mine do not look quite as green as the ones shown in the photos of the above included link, but both the look of the stems and description of the leaves seems to match mine.

The plant names were typed on a "stick to the pot" label, not the tags usually seen with suppliers like Monrovia and others. To be honest, at the time of purchase I did not pay much attention to the information on those pot labels.

This was my first attempt to locally try to find helleborus, and as easily revealed by the novice remarks and questions on my posts, my first time to plant helleborus.

To aviod continued feelings of such insecurities about my purchases, guess I should pay more attention to see who else locally offers them, and maybe not purchase untill I see ones in bloom which I really like. At least the insecurity in my purchase, has motivated me to research enough about helleborus that maybe next time, I will have better understandings of what such less novice-friendly labels are telling me on the pots.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Katrina, if you are purchasing x hybridus, I really do recommend that you wait and purchase them when they are in bloom. Royal Heritage is only a seed strain (seed collected from a controlled group of hellebores selected and grown for a particular attribute) and makes no distinction as to specific colors. They could be anything from a dark, nearly black purple to various shades of mauve and pink to white, some with markings, some not. I have yet to see a yellow come from RH plants. IME, most seem to be a rather insipid pink and with minimal markings or spotting, but that may just be my experience. To make sure you are getting the colors and markings you want, it is always best and safest to buy when in bloom.

Not the case with 'Ivory Price' - it will be consistently the same in flower, although foliage coloring and patterning can vary a bit.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

You really got a great deal with those Ivory Prince. I gave one to my sister up in Maine last year and it bloomed the end of March - she was so pleased to get flowers while there was still snow on the ground - it was flowering along with the snowdrops.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting