Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter care

Posted by PhilipM 5Iowa (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 05 at 19:42

I am in zone 5 and at least at some point it will get cold. It is not unusual to get down to 15-20 degrees below zero at least at some point.
It has been warm and I have noticed new growth from my orientalis hellebores which I have had for 4-5 years. I normally see this growth in March. I can't really make the growth go back under the ground. Aside from just not worrying should I mulch a lot before it does get cold? Has this growth been there always in November and I just didn't notice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter care

Hi Phillip, maybe you just didn't notice it before. Here in Georgia I have lots of new growth at this time of the year. In the summer my plants are dormant due to the extreme heat that we get.
I would not worry about the new growth even if it is under snow. Next spring it will be fine.
Mary-Gainesville, GA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here