Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

when will they bloom???????

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
18 years ago

Hi,

Last summer was the second summer for my hellebore seedlings (bought them as 4 inch pots). I didn't get any blooms last spring and I really didn't expect to, but I'm hoping to see something this spring! When will I know if they'll flower? Do they set buds in the fall, do they wait until late winter, will I not know until spring??

I'm fairly patient but I admit I'm a poker of plants.... I poke around looking for sprouts in the spring, I poke flower buds to get a peak at what color they will be..... I'm already starting to poke around the crowns of the hellebores looking for suspiciously fat buds or whatever might be a flower stalk. So far it all looks like leaves, but they are awesome leaves. So shiny and dark.... maybe I don't even need flowers..... HA!, just kidding!

Comments (13)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Several of my species hellebores are budding up now. Buds of x hybridus (which I assume you are growing) begin to be apparent in my climate around mid-December. Will be somewhat later than that in colder climates. They are bit difficult to describe and as they emerge directly out of the ground, could be mistaken for new foliage shoots if you are not familiar with them. As soon as these flower buds become evident, I cut back the old foliage. It reduces the possibility of holdover fungal problems and increases the flowers' visibility.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gardengal, thanks for the response.
    Yes they are the usual orientalis hybrids. I guess I won't start reeeeeally looking until late winter, probably late Feb. Right now everything coming up looks like new foliage. It's a weird autumn for us on the East coast so I'm hoping when we do drop off into winter weather it doesn't catch them by surprise and damage the fresh growth.... but then again last year they were covered in solid ice for a month and still came through ok so I guess I shouldn't worry.
    If they flower I'll cut back the old foliage, if they don't I'll only trim away damaged leaves. How's that for a compromise?
    Kato

• MichaelB_MAz6
    18 years ago

Kato,

Look for the new stalks about the end of March, blooms in April, maybe later depending on the lenght of the Winter.

Also search or look through the back posts on this forum, lots of people used to post from NH, in the colder areas so you can get a good idea from that.

• MichaelB_MAz6
    18 years ago

I found this to be a really interesting discussion of hellebores in colder regions, it does include bloom times but certainly wanders off topic to geolgic formations and poultry

Here is a link that might be useful: hellebre forum link

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess I'll leave them alone until mid march, then if there's no snow I can start poking around looking for new growth. must....have....patience.......

That was an interesting discussion. Hellebores and poultry. Who knew?

• claysoil
    18 years ago

Kato, it is so cool when you see the buds pushing up at ground level...they look like crocus buds forcing their way up. I also have some "seedlings" that will be 3 years old this spring. I just can't wait! I'll be out there poking around with you, but in zone 6!

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

My sympathies, Kato_B; I'm a poker of plants, myself, and those hellebores can drive a Northeastern gardener crazy. When I see pictures of hellebores in full bloom in January--in the UK and the Pacific Northwest, mind you--I'm outside poking on an almost daily basis.

As a matter of fact, I was outside poking earlier this week, and, much to my surprise and delight, found that most of my x hybridus have begun to send up buds. That's very early, here. The buds are no more than an inch long, but still...gives me more to poke, and encourages my zonal denial. To me, the buds look like emerging leaf buds, but fatter. When you GENTLY squeeze them, they're much more solid-feeling then leaf buds. Here's a picture of mine today, in their current blanched state (they're usually covered by fallen leaves). It's an awful, gray, gloomy day here today, so pardon the bad lighting.

Do you know if H. foetidus is bud-hardy in Z5? It's perfectly hardy, here, and a great plant for the slightly-less-than-very-patient gardener. Seedlings bloom in their second year for me, and the plants produce their buds in the fall. In some ways, this fall-budding thing is WORSE, because the buds are out there, obviously buds...but they do nothing for months...and months... But then, they're buds! You can have budded planted all through the winter. Here is one of mine today. Again, pardon the lighting.

If you'd like to try H. foetidus, send me an email; I can send you seeds in the spring.

Amanda

• claysoil
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures Amanda (a poker and a squeezer!). I agree, the foetidus are something to keep your heart pounding while you wait on the other hellebores to bud up. As for the other buds emerging early, it can be a curse and a blessing because they tease by hovering right at ground level for weeks.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OH NO!! I don't have anything like that on my hellebores... nothing! (those are great pictures by the way - thanks Amanda). I think all I have are more leaves, but like you said, it's still early, and you never know, maybe they'll still come through.
    Of course now they are under snow again so I can't even poke, but I don't think I'll give up on them completely until at least the snowdrops bloom.... and yes, I'd love some seeds, I'll email in the spring and see if they're ready!

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Wow, I'm glad I happened upon this forum. I didn't know those little flower buds may linger at ground level for so long before opening ... I got really excited this week when I found several buds on the little plants I planted just past August. I really did not expect flowers this first season. Mine are helleborus niger 'Buis', a creamy white.

The buds definitely look like flower buds, round and greenish-cream colored. They are, indeed, close to and coming right out of the ground, and are nodding over just like snowdrops do.

It has been an odd winter here on the east coast. We had an early cold spell (January temps in November), but it has since eased up considerably; really doesn't feel like winter and that we still have the coldest two months of the year ahead of us!

Patience, Kato B, and good luck with your hellebores.

Diane at the shore

• johandk
    18 years ago

help
    how can I get pictures to this posting
    for computer- geeks ??
    help
    jdk

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Did I mention I have buds?

3 of the 9 plants I have are showing one sprout a piece, now I'm worried that the warm weather will bring them along too far and a cold snap will do them in. I tried throwing a few extra leaves leaves on today for a little protection.

They're definitely buds (trust me Amanda-I poked!). I think I can wait somewhat patiently now for spring.... even though the other 6 plants will be under extra close scrutiny until I see something.

Johandk - are you still wanting to post pictures? It's fairly easy with a photobucket account (free too)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Johandk: open an account (free) at Photobucket.com if you don't already have one. Load your photos off your computer into your Photobucket album. Under each photo there will be three lines of print. Copy the line labelled TAG into the text of your message here on GW. When you hit "Preview message" your photo should appear. Then submit the message as usual.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus