Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Helleborus Orientalis

Posted by jammin_360 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 21:54

Hey everyone. This is my first message on this forum and hopefully more to come. I joined to talk about plants, learn more about them, and maybe help others.

So I've had a Helleborus Orientalis for a few months now. I've had it in a large pot (about 3-4 gal) in part sun. It's been healthy for the most part except that new growth was turning black and shrivled. I moved it to full shade as I've seen a lot at my campus that do well with no bright light and I transplanted it into the soil. Should this stop the leaves from turning bad? I cut the bad ones and new growth is starting already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Helleborus Orientalis

Sun versus shade locations should have no impact on the foliage condition.....these plants are actually quite sun tolerant and will flower better in a sunnier location than they will in one that is full shade. I'd suspect that any foliage problems are associated with it being in a container. IME, these plants are not all that happy long term in a container and often potting soils/drainage can affect the foliage -- hellebores are rather prone to fungal problems if not provided drier conditions that also offer excellent drainage. I'd guess it will be much happier in the ground and you should see improvement in the quality of the foliage.

FWIW, I'd suspect the plant you are growing is actually Helleborus x hybridus. H. orientalis is a species that is almost never seen in commerce and is actually becoming quite rare in its natural habitat, as it crosses so easily with other species. H. x hybridus is also the most popular and widely sold of common hellebore selections. These hybrids are still erronously labeled and referred to as H. orientalis as a lot of their parentage was derived from this species originally.

o
RE: Transplanting Helleborus Orientalis

Thanks for the info gardengal. I never knew that about the name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here