Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edspegel

Hellebore from seed

edspegel
19 years ago

Has anyone ever really got a hellbore seed to germiate from a pack of seed they bought off the rack in a Wallmart or bought through the mail from say Parks or Thompson & Morgan? Ben trying for years. Did the baggie with vermic, sand, coffee filters, papper towels, the warm, cold, and freeze cycles. I have some hseeds in a baggie of moist vermic thata just about two years old now. There just as shiney , plump and hard as rocks as when I put them in.

Comments (2)

• plantlover24
    19 years ago

HI, I have been successful with bought seeds. I put mine in peat pots filled with 3/4 potting mix and 1/4 vermiculite on the top. I press the seeds into the vermiculite but do not cover them. I then put the little peat pots (nice and damp) into a sealed plastic container and let it sit.

From seeds planted last winter I now have some germinating and some that are not. I tried the baggie method and it did not produce results for me but the peat pot method does.

Plantlover24

• claysoil
    19 years ago

plantlover, from where did you buy the seed? I have some from Thompson and Morgan undergoing its second cold period now outside. I did the baggie method the first time around. Since they were not fresh seed, I knew it would take longer.

edspegel, have you looked into buying fresh seed? Do a search for Elizabeth Town and you'll find postings here. You'll need to place an order soon to get seed this year. The germination rate is very high.