Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerstin_linnea

zone 5 tubgardening..

Kerstin_Linnea
19 years ago

hello, the first freeze came a couple of days ago, I am hoovering over my new helleborus, looking for any sign of activity, One has a small shiny leaf coming up, I got them cheaply from parks , they are orientalis royal heritage and came in qrt pots.

I am brand new to the plant and have spent many hours pouring over this forum.

Most questions I have I found answers to some degree, but I would like to hear from somebody In z5 area,

I am also wondering if there's a general way of estimating age ?

Almost no mailorder cites age of plants and I really want 3-4 specimen that will reward me with flowers soon.

Ultimately I want to fill a bed about 25x5 , running along a brick wall and a path.

It has some direct afternoon sun in the spring , before the tree fills up.

My plan is to buy 10-12 younger plants and break them up with a couple of mature blooming plants, - I read about the tendency for suprises and it is ok with me, I am kind of curious but also want to make sure I get my favourites..

I am not anywere near knowing the varietys by heart and wanted to explain to anyone here on the post and maybe get to find out what it is I should look out for..

I want them to be evergreen as much as that is possible ( yes I am aware that none is truly evergreen , but the one that is up an running the longest, :-)

I loove the beige , pink, auburn white green brownish colors of these plant, I want to make sure I get at least a couple

of doubles and spotted, the ones called picotee's are gorgeus too.

are the any particular colorschemes to follow for ultimate effect? All of I can think of myself is to not focus too much on the darker variety's , I love them but I don't think they're going to stand out much against the brick and dark wood surroundings.

Also my usual vantage point is one story above the grounds.

Currently, my helleborus is growing in a large oak tub, about 4 high, with japanese anemones , alliums and creeping phlox.

I am anxious as to wether this tub offers enough protection or not and I went outside yesterday and layed on a extra layer of mulch, now I am reading that crown rot is prevalent ?

My plants had some roughed leaves upon arrivals, a couple of black spots, I Left them on until yesterday.

Hmm,

What about sinking plants in larger pots in the bed. there is a possibility I need to move them all in a year or so.

Has anybody grown them like that?

Or even better, Pack a big ball around the roots and wrap with burlap?

Are helleborus senstitive to moving?

Any good nurseries out there that are not too pricey?

I saw vandycks had some sales and hirts lists their doubles as 23.99, what does that entail? a 3 yr old blooming plant?

Dutch bulbs have theirs at 18.95/double mixed.

recommendations anyone.?

happy holidays!

klk

Ps when would the time be to look for helleborusa t local nursery's?

Has anyone bought from gethsemane( andersoville , chicago)?

What prices are they running in ? ( my exp is that local nuresrys are sometimes more expensive than the highly specilaised mail order nurserys..)