Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goswimmin

They are coming

goswimmin
20 years ago

I have been peaking inside my hellebores several times a week lately in hopes of discovering an early bird.

Today I got my wish I could see the white of 2 buds at ground level and the lavender of one more. I do see lots of buds down there but wanted to see the color as well. Now the plants can go back to growing without me bothering them all of the time.

I am happy.

Mary

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    20 years ago

I expect one of my corsicans to be blooming for Christmas and the foetidus (foetidi?) not long behind. In fact, I was amazed to see my resident hummingbird trying to feed from the corsican buds. Never knew they would be attracted to hellebores (I guess I shouldn't be surprised - I've seen them feed from winter blooming heather) and the bud wasn't even open and still he persisted with that long, skinny beak all the way down into the bud.

The hybridus are showing bud color, but it will still be awhile before the flowers emerge. Time to cut back the old foliage!

• christie_sw_mo
    20 years ago

I have two that were labeled as orientalis from a plant trade a couple years ago that I'm hoping will be big enough to bloom this year so I can see what color they are. Too early here though.
    Someone sent me foetidus for postage a few years ago and I love it. I never would've ordered since I'm not fond of green flowers but the foliage is so dark that the light green flowers are pretty showy. Great plant!
    Goswimmin - We have the same birthday! I have a nice sized foetidus seedling that I could send to you if you want to trade next spring.

• SusanneC
    20 years ago

Helleborus niger praecox is flowering since November, which is not unusual in my climate. The weather has been mild and moist during the recent two months.
    Yesterday the first orientalis hybrid opened. A very pale colour, not the light yellow which I remembered from its last year's flowers. Oh well... I guess it is okay to dump the less attractive ones to make space for the nicer crossings.
    Helleborus foetidus "Westerflisk" has big buds, but none opened yet.

• SunshineGardens
    20 years ago

My nigers are in very early bud, this is the earliest I ever remember seeing them in bud, guess its all the mild whether we have had. All my other guys are still dormant.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    20 years ago

My Helleborus foetidus are heavily in bud and could be opened. I will have to check tomorrow. I agree that this is a great foliage plant all four seasons. I have one royal heritage that I got last year that isn't showing any signs of blooming this year. Besides that I have seeds germinating in my fridge...

Sponsored